Tar Heels Invade Columbus
Dec. 3, 2008
Courtesy of UNC Athletics
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Fresh off the Junkanoo Jam title, North Carolina (8-0) plays its final non-conference road game of the season when the Tar Heels visit Ohio State Wednesday at 7 p.m. as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Tar Heels picked up wins over Pacific and Oregon State on Friday and Saturday to win the Junkanoo Jam on Grand Bahama Island. Ohio State (6-1) won its home tournament last weekend, defeating Boston University and Dayton in Columbus. Carolina is ranked No. 2 in both the AP poll and the coaches' poll. Ohio State is ranked No. 18 in the AP poll and No. 21 in the coaches' poll.
AT A GLANCE
Records: North Carolina 8-0, Ohio State 6-1
Rankings: North Carolina is ranked No. 2 in both the AP poll and the ESPN/USA Today coaches' poll. Ohio State is ranked No. 18 in the AP poll and No. 21 in the coaches' poll.
TV: Big Ten Network. Mark Neely (play-by-play) and Mary Murphy (analyst) have the call.
On The Web: TarHeelBlue.com (UNC), OhioStateBuckeyes.com (Ohio State)
OHIO STATE SERIES NOTES
• North Carolina is 2-3 all-time against Ohio State.
• Carolina and Ohio State played each season between 1975-76 and 1978-79, but have not met since a 75-67 Carolina win on Dec. 18, 1980.
• The Tar Heels are 0-2 against the Buckeyes in Columbus, with losses coming during the 1975-76 and 1977-78 seasons.
NOTING THE BUCKEYES
• Ohio State is 6-1 on the season following a pair of home wins over Boston University and Dayton last weekend.
• Jantel Lavender leads the Buckeyes in scoring and rebounding, putting up 21.7 points and 12.1 rebounds per contest.
UNC AGAINST THE BIG TEN
• Carolina has played at least one game against each of the 11 current members of the Big Ten.
• UNC has an all-time record of 20-9 against the Big Ten. Only Iowa (0-2) and Ohio State (2-3) have winning records against the Tar Heels.
• While this year's version is officially the second ACC/Big Ten Challenge, Carolina has played two other games that were dubbed the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. On Jan. 8, 1993, UNC defeated Northwestern, 98-75, in Charlottesville, Va. On Dec. 19, 1999, the Tar Heels defeated Michigan State, 82-65, in Myrtle Beach, S.C.