ASHLAND, Ohio -- Ferris State jumped out to a 30-11 lead just seven minutes into the game and defeated Drury 74-56 in the first round of the NCAA tournament on Friday.

Sophomore forward Nicki Arner missed a jump shot with 18:45 to go in the first half, but then the Bulldogs made their next 11 shots, including six consecutive 3-pointers, as Ferris State started the game 12-of-13 from the field.

Despite the Bulldogs (23-6) hot start, Drury (20-8) clawed back and cut the deficit to 33-24, thanks to a 10-0 run spanning nearly three minutes in the middle of the half, but trailed at intermission 48-30.

Ferris State shot 69 percent from the field in the first half (18-of-26) and converted 7-of-10 from deep. Sophomore guard Sarah DeShone scored 14 points, going 5-of-6 from the field and 3-of-4 from behind the arc. She also tallied four rebounds and four assists.

Drury shot 48 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes and had eight assists on 13 field goals. The Lady Panthers didn’t record thier first rebound until the 11:34 mark of the first half and were outrebounded 16-6. Sophomore guard Bethanie Funderburk scored a team-high 11 points on 5-of-10 shooting.

The second half saw the Lady Panthers draw within 11 with 9:47 to play, but Kelsey DeNoyelles and Tricia Principe answered with back-to-back triples, pushing the Bulldog lead to 17. Ferris State’s largest lead was 23 points in the second half and finished the game shooting 52 percent from the field (27-of-52) and connected on 12 3-pointers.

Three players scored in double figures for Ferris State. DeShone, Principe and DeNoyelles all scored 17 points, while Arner scored eight and grabbed six rebounds. DeShone went 4-of-8 from 3-point range, grabbed five rebounds and dished out eight assists. Principe buried 5-of-6 from deep, and DeNoyelles made 3-of-4.

In the losing effort, Drury was led by Funderburk’s 15 points and Lauren McCurry’s 14 points, all coming in the second half.  Drury finished the game shooting 45 percent from the field (23-of-51) but was outrebounded 33-24.