DII women's basketball: Southern Connecticut State goes on the road to upend Division I Rhode Island 62-57
KINGSTON, R.I. – The Southern Connecticut State University women's basketball team outscored the University of Rhode Island by a 17-7 margin in the fourth quarter to knock off the Division I Rams, 62-57, in non-conference action today.
RELATED: WBCA Top 25
TEAM RECORDS: So. Connecticut (10-3) | Rhode Island (2-11)
1st Quarter – SCSU 17, URI 16
2nd Quarter – URI 32, SCSU 28
3rd Quarter – URI 50, SCSU 45
- Abby Hurlbert led all players in the game with 13 points, and also added eight rebounds and three assists.
- Paige Decker and Africa Williams each scored nine points. Decker added four rebounds and three steals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Keyed by a tremendous effort up and down the bench, the Owls were able to walk away from Ryan Center in Kingston, R.I. with victory against an NCAA Division I opponent, the University of Rhode Island. Ten different Owls tallied at least one point to contribute to the team's win.
- Hurlbert led the charge for the offense as she recorded a team-high in both points (13) and rebounds (8). Murphy Murad was the playmaker this afternoon as she tallied a team-high four assists, while Hurlbert and Imani Wheeler were right behind her with three each.
- It was a back and forth affair for most of the game, as neither team led by double digits.
- The end of the third quarter saw the Rams leading by five, as a buzzer-beating jumper from Maddie Brown cut the gap to 50-45. The Owls battled back to regain the lead by the midway point of the fourth quarter.
- With 1:31 remaining in the game and a tie score at 55-55, Africa Williams hit a good 3-pointer to break the deadlock and give the Owls the lead.
- With three seconds left in the game, Decker went to the free throw line to give the Owls a two possession lead to secure the win over Division I Rhode Island.
The Owls travel to New York Institute of Technology on Sunday afternoon for a 2 p.m. start against the Bears.