Sept. 5, 2009

Courtesy of UMass

Box Score |  Photo Gallery 

AMHERST, Mass. - Nikki Lloyd's hat trick, with the third goal coming 7:53 into overtime, undid a late UMass comeback as the #17 Minutewomen field hockey team (1-1) fell to the Terriers (1-2), 3-2, on Friday afternoon at Garber Field in the opening game of the UMass Invitational. UMass led 1-0 at halftime thanks to a Jaime Bourazeris goal before Lloyd scored twice in an eight-minute span in the second half. Makaela Potts scored the equalizer for UMass with just 2:45 left in the second half, leading to overtime and Lloyd's decisive goal.

Bourazeris gave UMass the early lead when just 4:44 into the game she took a Jill Powers slip pass off a penalty corner and drove it into the left side of the goal for her first of the season. The assist was Powers first of the year.

The Minutewomen would go on to stay in control for most of the first half and carry the 1-0 lead into halftime. Shots at the half were 5-4 in favor of UMass, while penalty corners were even, 5-5.

UMass would keep the lead until with 18:05 left in the second half, Lloyd took a pass from Jacinda McLeod off penalty corner and sent a shot high over the right shoulder of UMass goalie Alesha Widdall, tying the game, 1-1.

Seven and a half minutes later, in the 59th minute, blasted a shot from 10 yards out off a steal into the left corner of the goal, giving BU a 2-1 lead.

With just over three minutes remaining, Katie Kelly stick-handled into the circle and won a penalty corner for UMass. After the first corner attempt was stopped and second corner was awarded, Potts sent a shot that beat BU goalie Amanda Smith to her right, tying the game, 2-2. Powers and Cher King were both credited with assists on the play.

That goal sent the game into overtime, where the Minuntewomen killed off a 7-on-6 situation when Potts was assessed a yellow card 2:23 into the extra period. After play returned to even, Lloyd came into the circle on the right side of a 2-on-1 and was able to get her shot around a charging Widdall to end the game.

Both goalies, Widdall and Smith, finished the game with four saves. Final shots were 15-12 in favor of the Terriers and corners were 13-9 in favor of BU thanks to the road team outshooting UMass, 4-0, in overtime and outcornering it, 3-0.

The UMass Invitational continues on Saturday at Garber Field when UMass takes on #9 Iowa (0-2) at 2 p.m. Play wraps up on Sunday when the Terriers and Hawkeyes meet at 1 p.m.