Nov. 10, 2010

BABSON PARK, Mass. - Babson College first-year Morgan Lockwood (Feeding Hills, Mass.) scored the game-winning goal in the 49th minute as the Beavers edged visiting Husson University, 4-3, in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Division III Field Hockey Championship Tournament at Babson's MacDowell Field on Wednesday afternoon.

Now 16-5 overall, Babson advances to Saturday's second round at Bowdoin, where they will meet the host Polar Bears at 11 a.m. SUNY Cortland will meet Lebanon Valley later that day at 2 p.m., with the two winners meeting in the Sectional Final at Bowdoin on Sunday at 1 p.m.

With the loss, Husson sees its fantastic season come to a close with a record of 10-6.

Both teams came out firing in a high-scoring first half, with Husson jumping in front three times only to have Babson even the contest on each occasion. The Eagles got on the board early on when senior forward Skye Ellis (Belfast, Maine) swept a shot into the left side of the cage off a long cross from senior captain Jillian Morin (Manchester, Maine) on the right side at 2:10. The Beavers then came right back with a goal of their own less than two minutes later, as senior captain Sarah Fredlund (New Preston, Conn.) put back a rebound of Lockwood's saved shot at 4:09.

Husson regained the lead less than 19 minutes in, when junior midfielder Lorri Hiltz (Norridgewock, Maine) took a penalty corner insertion from senior captain Courtney Allen (Gardiner, Maine) at the top of the circle and ripped a drive off a defender's stick and into the upper right corner at 18:43. However, the Beavers once again responded when Lockwood took a bouncing shot from the right wing that glanced off the left pad of Eagles' sophomore keeper Kristen Capen (Leeds, Maine) and found its way just inside the right post to tie the game at 2-2 at 26:16.

The Eagles struck again just 49 seconds after Lockwood's goal, as Ellis netted her second of the game with a perfect tip-in off Allen's cross from the right side at 27:05. Babson then scored the final goal of the half at 32:24, when junior forward Courtney Weaving (New Preston, Conn.) received a pass from junior Anneliese Brosch (Essex, Mass.) in the middle of the circle, turned, and ripped a shot into the middle of the cage to even the game at 3-3 heading into the break.

Following the six-goal first period, both teams' defensive units clamped down early in the second, as Husson managed the only shot for either side in the first 13 minutes of action. However, the Beavers gained their first lead of the contest in the 49th minute, thanks to a flurry of shots in front of the net. First-year midfielder Julia Pochini (Acton, Mass.) took the first shot attempt that was saved by Capen near the right post, and senior captain Colleen Kelly's (Milton, Mass.) follow-up bid was also denied by the sophomore keeper. Lockwood then collected Kelly's rebound and tucked it into the center of the cage from point-blank range for her second goal of the game, giving the Beavers a 4-3 advantage at 48:49.

That would prove to be the final goal for either squad, as the stalwart Babson defense held Husson to just two shots in the final 21 minutes. Allen's bid on net was saved by Pashos during a scrum in front of the cage at 53:25, and senior forward Helen Berry's (Belfast, Maine) blast from the top of the circle on an Eagle penalty corner went just wide of the left post at 63:32. The Beavers would control the ball the rest of the way thanks to five penalty corners, including two in the final 20 seconds that sealed the 4-3 Babson victory.

Lockwood's two goals give her a team-leading 26 this season - the most of any freshman in Division III. Fredlund's score was her 18th of the season and Weaving her 14th. For Husson Ellis scored twice to give her five goals on the year, and Hiltz' goal was her eighth of the fall.

Junior Jess Pashos (Winchester, Mass.) finished with three saves in goal for Babson, while Capen turned away eight shots in net for the Eagles.