UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – No. 9 Penn State kicked off the 2012 season topping No. 3 Old Dominion 5-2 on Friday. Despite a mid-game surge from the Lady Monarchs (0-1), the Nittany Lions (1-0) scored three back-to-back goals in the second period to secure their home-opener win.

“I was very proud of the way they played,” said head coach Charlene Morett. “I was really proud of the way that they hung in there when Old Dominion tied it up 2-2. They’re a very strong team. I feel that our defense was really the key to creating some counter attacks and we capitalized on that.”

Penn State's Kelsey Amy recorded the game-winning goal, scoring less than six minutes into play.

At the 13:26 mark, the Lions' Laura Gebhart picked up the tempo, defeating three Monarchs through the box. Gebhart sent a pass to Lauren Purvis who then shot it into the bottom right corner of the net, making the score 2-0.

The Monarchs had a surge of momentum late into the first period, capitalizing on a penalty corner with less than 30 seconds to play Julie Hodge took the corner, sending a shot to Christy Longacre. Longacre swung back, sending the ball into the top center of the net past goalkeeper Ayla Halus at the 34:45 mark. With another penalty corner opportunity, Kelsey Smither chipped the ball up to Sarah Breen. Breen tallied her first collegiate goal to tie the match at 2-2.

The remainder of the game was dominated by the Lions with Amy scoring her second of the match at the 43:54 mark. After a penalty corner from Whitney Reddig, the senior hit a straight shot into the back of the net.

With a 3-2 lead Penn State found another scoring opportunity with fifteen minutes left in the game. Gebhart maneuvered into the box, sending the ball directly in front of Jahns. Casey Haegele took advantage of her proximity, jabbing at the ball to push it across the goal line.

With less than two minutes to play, the Lions' Brittany Grzywacz was awarded a penalty shot, settling the score at 5-2.

In overall goal attempts, the Lions outshot the Lady Monarchs 15-13. Halus made seven saves during the contest and Jahns recorded five saves.