In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it | October 25, 2013

ACC title to Terps

No. 1 Maryland 4, No. 5 Virginia 1

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland clinched the ACC regular-season title on Friday night with a 4-1 win against Virginia. Sophomore Maxine Fluharty led the offense with two goals, while the Terrapins’ defense held the league’s top scorer quiet throughout the match.

Maryland (16-1, 5-0 ACC) held a 3-0 lead at halftime behind an early goal from senior Jill Witmer and Fluharty’s two scores. Junior Welma Luus expanded the Terps’ lead to 4-1 with just under 18 minutes to play to hold off a Virginia (15-4, 3-3) threat. The Cavaliers’ Elly Buckley, the league’s top scorer, was held without a goal and to three shots.

With the win, the Terrapins clinched the top spot in the ACC tournament on Nov. 7-10 in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Due to the addition of Syracuse to the league this year, only the top-seeded team earns a first round bye.

Maryland jumped out of the gate quickly with a score by Witmer 4:20 in. Sophomore Sarah Sprink sent a hard shot in from the top of the circle and Witmer deflected it in for her 15th goal of the year.

In the 23rd minute, Fluharty scored her first of the night and made it a two-goal lead for the Terps. She slung in a backhanded shot off a pass from Anna Dessoye for the score.

With a little more than a minute left in the first half, the Terps were awarded a penalty corner. Sprink’s two shots were saved by Virginia goalkeeper Jenny Johnstone, then Fluharty tapped in the Terrapins’ third goal for a 3-0 lead at the break.

Virginia got on the board with 22 minutes left to play when Katie Robinson deflected in Elly Buckley’s shot off a penalty corner. As momentum started to swing toward the Cavaliers, Luus created a shot on the Terps’ end of the field and scored from the top right part of the circle for a 4-1 lead with 17:91 to play.

Maryland outshot Virginia 16-10 and Terrapins goalkeeper Natalie Hunter notched five saves, all in the second half. Johnstone had nine stops.

No. 10 Old Dominion 5, No. 4 Connecticut 0

NORFOLK, Va. -- Old Dominion (10-6, 5-1) defeated Connecticut (13-3, 5-1) by a 5-0 final on Friday afternoon and claimed a share of the Big East lead.

“It is really positive for us to get a solid win over a Connecticut team that can be very dangerous," ODU head coach Andrew Griffiths said. "After a slow start, we took our chances well today -- we finished effectively. The team worked hard defensively, we limited their clear goal scoring opportunities and our goalkeeping was strong. I am very pleased with the result.”

Old Dominion won its ninth consecutive game and earned a trip to the Big East tournament with great defensive effort to earn its sixth shutout in seven games. Sarah Breen and Katy Fuhrman each scored two goals, Teisha King added a goal, and both Rosario Villagra and Kelsey Smither achieved three assists.

Both teams started the game taking time to earn each scoring opportunity. At the 20-minute mark Old Dominion found a new stride, both offensively and defensively. Breen took a corner feed from Rosario Villagra and Kelsey Smither to tally her 11th goal of the year. Ten minutes later, Katy Fuhrman went all the way to the net and scored her first goal of the year with an assist going to Rosario Villagra.

The start of the second half did not differ from the end of the first half. At 40:09 Fuhrman came out scoring her second goal of the game. Six minutes later, Breen scored her 12th of the year off another corner with assists going to Villagra and Smither. ODU capped off the day at 50:52 with Teisha King scoring her third goal of the year with an assist going to Smither.

The Lady Monarchs have not lost since Sept. 22 when they played in Louisville. ODU was outshot 14-9 and both teams had four penalty corners. Old Dominion sophomore goalkeeper Megan Hept came up with nine saves to earn her sixth shutout in seven games and 10th win on the year. Huskie keeper Sarah Mansfield earned her third loss and totaled one save.

No. 6 Penn State 2, No. 19 Iowa 1

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- Penn State grabbed at least a share of the Big Ten regular-season championship on Friday afternoon for the second consecutive season, prevailing in a tough 2-1 road win against. The win moves Penn State's Big Ten record to 5-0 on the year.

The Lions prevailed by using two second-half goals within four minutes of each other to get past the Hawkeyes. Jenna Chrismer scored the first to tie the match before Brittany Grzywacz gave the Lions the lead for good off a penalty corner.

To open the second stanza, Iowa jumped on top early in the half. The Big Ten's leading goal scorer, Natalie Cafone, played a perfect pass to Stephanie Norlander who turned and fired past the Nittany Lion defense to give the hosts a 1-0 advantage.

The goal seemed to spark the Blue and White, as PSU started attacking with more urgency. Eight minutes after Iowa took the lead, Penn State equalized. Chrismer collected the ball in the circle and hit an off-balance backhanded shot that rocketed into the bottom left corner of the cage to tie the match at 1-1. The goal marks her sixth of the season, ranking fourth on the team.

Four minutes after Chrismer knotted the match up at 1-1, Grzywacz put the Lions on top. On Penn State's fifth penalty corner opportunity of the match, the Nittany Lions ran a play where Grzywacz passed to Gebhart who gave the ball right back. With space, Grzywacz executed a perfect drag flick that sent the ball into the top of the net to give the Blue and White a 2-1 lead. The goal gives the defending Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week a team-leading 11 goals on the season.

The defense continued its streak of strong play in the winning effort. In the past 11 matches, Penn State has allowed one or fewer goals in eight of the contests. The backline did not allow a single penalty corner in the match against an Iowa team that averages more than 5.5 per match.