Oct. 10, 2010


Courtesy of Morehouse Athletics

The high-scoring offense failed to launch for the first time this season and Morehouse fell, 31-15, to the Tuskegee Golden Tigers, in the 75th Annual Tuskegee-Morehouse Football Classic.

Morehouse's 15 points and 213 total yards were season lows, for the team that averaged 40 points and 366 yards per game. The Maroon Tigers dropped to 5-1; Tuskegee improved to 5-1.

Tuskegee jumped out to a 7-0 lead less than two minutes into the game. An eight-yard touchdown pass, early in the second quarter, pushed the lead to 13-0. But the Morehouse defense blocked the point-after attempt and Darrius Williams returned the football for a two-point score.

A seven-yard touchdown run gave the Golden Tigers a 21-2 halftime lead. In the third quarter, the teams traded scores. Morehouse linebacker Charlie Wilson blocked a punt that Samuel Gilmore returned 36-yards for a touchdown. Tuskegee kicked a 22-yard field goal.

Midway through the fourth quarter, quarterback William Brack bulled his way to a 15-yard touchdown, which cut the Tuskegee lead to 24-15. A two-point conversion attempt failed, when running back David Carter was stopped just short of the goal line.

Brack, who started the game, was replaced by Byron Ingram after only a few plays. On the scoring play, Brack was subbing for Ingram who had left the game briefly with an injury.

Despite giving up 31 points, as a team, several Maroon Tigers had stellar individual performances. Linebacker Charlie Wilson led all tacklers, with 12, including four tackles for loss, one-and-a-half sacks, a blocked punt and a forced fumble.

Darrius Williams, who scored his first Morehouse points on the blocked PAT, recorded nine tackles and an interception. Brandon Houston tallied nine tackles and two sacks.

Tyjuan McFadden led Morehouse in receiving with seven catches and 77 yards. David Carter gained 57 yards on 18 carries.

Just like in 1930 - the last time Morehouse started a season at 5-0 - the first loss was a 19-6 defeat to Tuskegee. The Maroon Tigers finished at 9-1 that year.