Before 2013, the AdvoCare V100 Bowl was known as the Independence Bowl because it was inaugurated during the U.S. bicentennial in 1976. The bowl has had tie-ins with the Southland Conference, the Big 12 and the Mountain West. These days, it's a matchup of the seventh selection of the ACC and the 10th selection of the SEC.
Ole Miss has the most appearances with five (4-1). Louisiana Tech has appeared four times (2-1-1).
• Sure, Brett Farve led Southern Miss to a 38-18 win against UTEP in 1988, but defensive back James Henry grabbed the headlines, running back two punts for touchdowns and earning both Offensive and Defensive Player of the Game honors.
• The 1990 game featured the only tie in the bowl game's history, with Maryland and La. Tech playing to a 34-all tie.
• In 1992, Wake Forest battled back from a 12-point halftime deficit to beat Oregon 39-35. Todd Dixon caught five passes for 166 yards and a pair of touchdowns for the Demon Deacons.
• In the SEC's first appearance in the bowl, LSU's Kevin Faulk ran for 234 yards as the Tigers beat Michigan State 45-26 in 1995.Two years later, Faulk's backup, Rondell Mealey, ran for 222 yards as LSU won again, 27-9, against Notre Dame.
• In 2002, Eli Manning threw for 313 yards and a touchdown as Ole Miss upset Nebraska 27-23.
|1978||East Carolina||35||Louisiana Tech||13|
|1980||Southern Miss||16||McNeese State||14|
|1981||Texas A&M||33||Oklahoma State||16|
|1983||Air Force||9||Ole Miss||3|
|1984||Air Force||23||Virginia Tech||7|
|1986||Ole Miss||20||Texas Tech||17|
|1990||Louisiana Tech 34||34||Maryland||34|
|1998||Ole Miss||35||Texas Tech||18|
|2000||Mississippi State||43||Texas A&M||41|
|2004||Iowa State||17||Miami (Ohio)||13|
|2008||Louisiana Tech||17||Northern Illinois||10|
|2010||Air Force||14||Georgia Tech||7|