The Chippewas scuffled down the stretch to a 6-6 finish and face an uphill challenge as they take on Tulsa (9-3) in the Miami Beach Bowl at Marlins Park. Central Michigan dropped three of its last four games to close out the regular season, while Tulsa rolls in having won five of its last six games.
Central Michigan (6-6) vs. Tulsa (9-3)
Dec. 19, 2016
Marlins Park, Miami, Fla.
How to watch
Game time: 2:30 p.m. ET
TV Channel: ESPN
Live stream: You can live stream the game here.
Players to watch
- Central Michigan wide receiver Corey Willis broke the 1,000-yard mark for the first time in his career. He caught 68 passes for 1,024 yards in the regular season with nine touchdowns.
- Tulsa running back James Flanders finished the regular season with 1,529 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns. He’s ninth in the FBS in rushing yards and seventh in touchdowns.
- These teams have split the two previous meetings, but haven’t played in nearly 30 years — a 41-18 Central Michigan win in 1987.
- This is the Chippewas' third straight trip to a bowl game and fourth in the last five seasons; they haven't won since the Little Caesars Bowl following the 2012 season.
- Central Michigan opened the season 3-0 before sputtering to a 3-6 finish the rest of the way.
- The Chippewas played on tight margins all season long, averaging 28.2 points per game while allowing 28.3.
- Central Michigan averaged 276.4 passing yards per game to rank 26th nationally.
- Tulsa boasts the No. 8 rushing attack (260.9 yards per game) and No. 11 scoring offense (41.3 points per game) in the nation.
- The Golden Hurricane already have more wins this season (nine) than the last two seasons combined (eight).
- Tulsa hasn’t won a bowl game since the Liberty Bowl following the 2012 season.
- The Golden Hurricane boast two 1,000-yard rushers, as D’Angelo Brewer joined Flanders by rushing for 1,320 yards and seven touchdowns; no other Tulsa rusher had more than 200 yards.
- Central Michigan running back Devon Spalding is questionable with a shoulder injury.
- Tulsa cornerback Keanu Hill is questionable with a knee injury.