North Dakota State has won eight of the past nine NCAA FCS national football titles following its 2019-20 championship. That's good enough to put the Bison two titles ahead of the next closest program for most all-time FCS national championships.
North Dakota State broke a tie with Georgia Southern (now an FBS Sun Belt member) with its seventh national title in 2018 over Eastern Washington. One year later, the Bison added an eighth championship with a win over James Madison.
FCS CHAMPIONSHIP RECAP: North Dakota State beats James Madison for 8th title| Final bracket
Twenty-one different schools have lifted the trophy since 1978. Eastern Washington became the latest first-time champ when the Eagles won in 2010.
Here is a list of every institution to win an FCS championship, ranked in order from most titles to least.
Schools with the most NCAA FCS football championships:
|School||Number of titles||Year(s)|
|North Dakota State||8||2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019|
|Georgia Southern||6||1985, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1999, 2000|
|Youngstown State||4||1991, 1993, 1994, 1997|
|Appalachian State||3||2005, 2006, 2007|
|Eastern Kentucky||2||1979, 1982|
|James Madison||2||2004, 2016|
5 FCS football facts worth knowing:
- Of the 21 different schools to claim at least one title, seven no longer play at the FCS level. Appalachian State, Boise State, Georgia Southern, Louisiana-Monroe, Marshall, Massachusetts and Western Kentucky are all current members of the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). Appalachian State won the most recent title by a program no longer in the FCS, with the Mountaineers winning three in a row from 2005-07.
- Five schools have won titles in at least two consecutive seasons. North Dakota State owns the longest streak at five in a row (2011-15) while also currently three-peating as champs from 2017-19. Appalachian State won three straight titles from 2005-07. Georgia Southern (1985-86,1989-90, 1999-00) and Youngstown State (1993-94) are the other two schools to go back to back.
- Jim Tressel (Youngstown State) and Chris Klieman (North Dakota State) are tied for the most championship wins among head coaches in FCS history at four apiece. Klieman matched Tressel in 2018 before leaving to coach Kansas State in the FBS. Craig Bohl (North Dakota State), Jerry Moore (Appalachian State) and Erk Russell (Georgia Southern) all won three championships as head coach.
- North Dakota State (8-0) and Georgia Southern (6-2) have the most all-time championship game appearances at eight. Youngstown State (4-3) and Montana (2-5) follow, having been to the finals seven times each.
- Thirty-four different programs have appeared in the FCS national championship game. Only two schools — McNeese and Sam Houston State — have reached that level twice without a trophy to show for it.