An excellent weekend for the Bluegrass State finally caught the attention of the AP voters this week, with undefeated Kentucky and Louisville making long-awaited returns to the AP Poll.
Powered by a nearly 300-yard performance from tailback Ray Davis, Kentucky battered then-No. 22 Florida 33-14 from Kroger Field, taking UF's spot in the AP Poll for the first time since last October. Meanwhile, a nip-and-tuck, 13-10 squeaker for Louisville over NC State saw the Cardinals make their first appearance since 2020, sneaking in at No. 22
Continue below for the entire Top 25 rankings:
|4||Ohio State (1)||4||4-0||1357|
|5||Florida State (4)||5||4-0||1336|
Week 5 poll breakdown
Georgia's recent stretch of dominance in the Kirby Smart era has produced a flurry of remarkable records, many of which appeared to be in jeopardy Saturday as a raucous Jordan-Hare Stadium roared behind their Tigers, who took a 17-10 third-quarter lead over the Bulldogs. A Brock Bowers masterclass preserved UGA's FBS-best 22-game winning streak, and the AP voters elected to keep Georgia in top spot for the 22nd consecutive week.
Meanwhile, a pair of AP poll neighbors remain coupled in this week's release, with both Oregon State and Ole Miss rising four slots behind starkly different formulas. No. 15 OSU repurposed the Utes' own style perfectly, dominating on the ground and holding then-No. 10 Utah scoreless until the fourth quarter, while No. 16 Ole Miss outlasted then-No. 13 LSU 55-49 with a last-second touchdown.
Other notable moves
- No. 12 Oklahoma continues to edge its way near the top 10, rising two spaces after battering Iowa State 50-20, further raising the stakes for next Saturday's Red River Showdown
- Right place, right time for No. 13 Washington State, who benefitted from the aforementioned mid-poll chaos and rose three spaces despite observing a bye week
- Notre Dame returns to the top 10 after late-game heroics from Sam Hartman and Audric Estime pushed the Irish past No. 19 Duke 21-14
Top matchups for Week 6
Saturday, October 7:
- No. 3 Texas vs. No. 12 Oklahoma (Dallas) | 12 p.m. ET | ABC
- No. 23 LSU at No. 21 Missouri | 12 p.m. ET | ESPN
- No. 11 Alabama at Texas A&M | 3:30 p.m. ET | CBS
- No. 20 Kentucky at No. 1 Georgia | 7 p.m. ET | ESPN
- No. 10 Notre Dame at No. 25 Louisville | 7:30 p.m. ET | ESPN
Most weeks ranked No. 1
Here are the 10 FBS programs that have spent the most weeks ranked No. 1 in the AP poll since 1936, according to www.collegepollarchive.com.
|SCHOOL||WEEKS RANKED NO. 1|
📈 RANKINGS: AP Top 25 Poll | Every poll, explained | AP Poll accuracy | CFP schedule
💯 MORE: College GameDay locations | Winningest teams | Coaches with most titles