Dec. 1, 2008

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -   No. 1-ranked Plattsburgh State ran its season-opening unbeaten streak to nine games on Saturday with a 5-3 victory over Saint Thomas at the Chip Kenyon Arena, taking third place in the 2008 PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout hosted by Middlebury College.  The Cardinals improve to 7-0-2 overall while the Tommies dip to 3-4-1.  BOXSCORE

Defenseman Ward Smith scored what proved to be the game-winning goal--his second of the night--with 3 minutes and 20 seconds gone in the third period, putting Plattsburgh up 4-2.  Smith notched his first to break a 2-all tie late in the second period with the Cardinals on the power play.

After the teams skated to a scoreless opening period, they exploded by combining for five goals in the second.  Ryan Kurtz scored his first goal of the season to give the Tommies a 1-0 lead at the 3:05 mark.  But 21 seconds later, Kyle Kudroch tied it on a pass from Shawn Dennis.  The Cardinals got their first lead, 2-1, at 15:03 on a goal from Ryan Corry only to have Rob Johnson get the equalizer 1:14 later.

Dylan Clarke led the Cardinals offense with three points, including two assists.  Eric Satim also had two assists, and both Corry and Kudroch added an assist for a multi-point game.

Johnson scored twice for the Tommies, who outshot the Cardinals 35 to 22 for the game.

Plattsburgh's Bryan Hince made 32 saves, including several tough stops.  In fact, Hince moved from post to post to make a sprawling save on a close-in shot to preserve a 3-2 advantage with over a minute remaining.   


Plattsburgh State Falls In Shootout, Remains Unbeaten

MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -   Top-ranked Plattsburgh State scored two power play goals late in the third period to come back and earn a 3-3 tie with Norwich, but the No. 5 Cadets won the shootout to advance to the championship game of the PrimeLink Great Northern Shootout hosted by Middlebury College at Kenyon Arena.  The Cardinals will play the Middlebury/Saint Thomas loser in Saturday's third-place game at 4 p.m.  BOXSCORE

Trailing 3-1 after two periods, Plattsburgh forced overtime when Andrew Willock scored with 6 minutes and 52 seconds left in the game and then Phil Farrow got the game-tying goal under 3 minutes remaining.  But after a scoreless 5-minute extra session, Norwich won the shootout 3-0 from the sticks of Nick DelGallo, Rico Piatelli and Chad Anderson to move on against either the Panthers or Tommies.

Anderson gave Norwich a 1-0 lead with a power play goal in the first period.  Vick Schlueter scored the Cardinals' other goal in the second, cutting Norwich's 2-0 lead in half.

Plattsburgh outshot Norwich 29 to 24 for the game, including an 11-7 margin in the final period to put more pressure on the Cadets defense.

Ryan Klingensmith made 26 saves for the Cadets and Bryan Hince had 21 for the Cardinals.