Jan. 3, 2009

Courtesy of Denver

DENVER – Anthony Maiani (Shelby Township, Mich.) tallied the game-winning goal in DU’s first NHL-style shootout in over 10 years as they captured the second game of the 17th Annual Wells Fargo Denver Cup with a 3-2 win over Holy Cross Friday night. In earlier action, Rensselaer fell to Boston University 6-2. The Pioneers shootout win counts as a tie in the overall standings and Denver stands at 13-5-2 overall. Holy Cross is now 5-11-2.

Denver goaltender Marc Cheverie (Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia) made the game-winning save on the fifth shot he faced and has given up just nine goals in his last eight games.

“One of our goals was to be in the championship game and we’re in the championship game right now. It should be a heck of a game,” DU head coach George Gwozdecky said. “We’re looking forward to it. We need to see if we can build upon what we established tonight.”

Jesse Martin (Edmonton, Alberta) continued his scoring streak at just 1:05 into the first period with a tapped in goal from a no-look pass, sailing past Holy Cross goaltender Adam Roy. Adding to the scoring assists were Maiani and Rhett Rakhshani (Huntington Beach, Calif.). Martin has six goals in his last five games and Maiani is now leading the Pioneers with 26 points.

The Pioneers outshot the Crusaders 22-6 at the conclusion of the first period.

The Crusaders tied the game at 1-1 as they responded with a goal, rebounding high off of Cheverie with 13:59 left in the second period.

Denver regained the lead when Kyle Ostrow (Calgary, Alberta) tallied his sixth goal of the 2008-09 season with a high shot to Roy’s left. Joe Colborne (Calgary, Alberta) and Cody Brookwell (Calgary, Alberta) assisted the goal at 19:08 into the second period.

Early in the third period, the Pioneers led with a dominating 27-12 shot advantage. But, at 7:27 into the third period, a shot that hit off of a linesman by Brookwell caught Roy by surprise and went in the net, but was waved off by the officials as a no-goal.

Holy Cross tied the game with 14:39 on the power play when Everett Sheen scored his second goal of the night to tie the game at 2-2. DU had one final chance following a quick save by Roy off a shot from Patrick Wiercioch (Maple Ridge, British Columbia), but Roy was again up to the task and sent the game to overtime.

Overtime concluded in a tie to a NHL-style shootout of 3-on-3, to determine a winner. The overall standings still count as a tie, regardless of what happens during the shootout.

Roy allowed 4-of-5 shots past him, the first by Luke Salazar (Thornton, Colo.), closely followed by Rakhshani. Roy defended the shot by Ostrow straight up the middle, leading to a tie of 2-2, sending out Colborne, DU’s fourth player. Maiani finished it 5-4 with the game-winning goal as Holy Cross’s Everett Sheen failed to get his past Cheverie.

The Pioneers will face No. 3 Boston University in the championship game of the Wells Fargo Denver Cup tomorrow night at Magness Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.