Oct. 9, 2009

OXFORD, Ohio - The No. 1 Miami RedHawks skated to a thrilling 3-2 overtime victory over No. 13 St. Cloud State Friday night in the regular-season opener at Steve Cady Arena at the Goggin Ice Center.

Carter Camper scored the game-winner 1:52 into the extra session and Cody Reichard made 22 saves, including several from point-blank range early in the contest, to lead the RedHawks.

With the game tied 2-2 in overtime, Cameron Schilling delivered a pass to Tommy Wingels who fired a shot on goal. Camper picked up the rebound and wrapped around the back of the goal, moving from the right to the left side. As he moved toward the front of the goal he fired a wrist-shot just over the goaltender's shoulder for the game-winner at 1:52 of the overtime period.

"It was a great relief," Camper said of his game-winning goal. "The offseason was so long, especially after the way last season ended, it was good to get the first win under our belts."

The RedHawks started out on defense as the Huskies held the puck in Miami's defensive zone for much of the first five minutes. Early whistles against the RedHawks had Miami killing off penalties for three of the first four minutes but St. Cloud was unable to capitalize.

In the opening period, Reichard came up big for the RedHawks, making saves on a number of breakaways and hard shots.

"Cody made four or five big saves tonight," head coach Enrico Blasi said. "St. Cloud has so many weapons and Cody really kept us in the game."

"I knew they'd come out strong," Reichard said. "I knew if I kept the boys in it long enough they'd get it done."

St. Cloud struck first with a goal at the 17:42 mark of the first period. Reichard turned away two shots, but the Huskies passed it back to Oliver Lauridsen just in front of the blue line for a slap shot that found its way through traffic and into the Miami net.

The RedHawks scored the equalizer just 1:36 into the second period. Jarod Palmer fired a shot on goal that was blocked by the visiting goaltender. The save sent the goalie sprawling to his left as the puck bounced to his right. As the goalie scrambled to regain position, Andy Miele picked up the loose puck and passed to Curtis McKenzie who found the back of the net for his first career goal.

Miami kept up the intensity throughout the second period, delivering a number of big hits and creating scoring opportunities.

After setting up in the offensive zone on a power play, Camper took a pass in the left faceoff circle skating back toward the blue line. He moved the puck around to the right side and skated past the defense toward the goal. As the Husky goaltender moved toward him, he crossed the puck through the crease to Pat Cannone for the one-timer into the wide-open left side of the net at 8:36 of the period. Chris Wideman earned the second assist.

In the third period Miami played puck control, keeping possession despite St. Cloud's desperate attempts to tie the game.

As the clock wound down, St. Cloud took stole the puck and moved into Miami's defensive zone. Reichard knocked down a shot, but the puck slid past him toward the goal. As he dove to cover it, St. Cloud's Brian Volpei swept the puck into the goal to tie the game at 2-2 at 18:01 of the third period.

In the five-minute overtime period St. Cloud had two opportunities, but the Miami defense was able to collect the puck and clear it each time.

For their efforts, Camper, Reichard and McKenzie were named the three stars of the game.

The RedHawks are back in action tomorrow night at 7:05 against St. Cloud at Steve Cady Arena at the Goggin Ice Center.