Oct. 25, 2009

Courtesy of Boston Athletics

BOSTON - After two third-period goals by the visitors evened the score at 2-2 with five minutes left in regulation, junior Joe Pereira took advantage of a miscue behind the Michigan net and tallied an unassisted goal at 17:29 of the third period to give the third-ranked Boston University men's ice hockey team an exciting 3-2 victory over No. 4/5 Michigan on Saturday night at Agganis Arena.

Sophomore Kieran Millan matched his career high of 33 saves, as the Terriers recorded their first win to move to 1-2-0 on the year. Michigan fell to an even 2-2-0 with the loss.

BU scored a power-play goal in both the first and second periods to take a 2-0 lead, but Michigan scored at the 10:04 and 14:30 marks of the third to knot the game.

With under three minutes left in regulation, freshman Ryan Santana sent the puck into the Wolverines' zone and Michigan goaltender Bryan Hogan went behind the net to knock the puck to his teammate in the left corner. Pereira raced down the right side and picked off the puck before wrapping it around and into the net for the game winner.

Despite letting in the two goals in the third, Millan made 19 of his 33 saves in the final stanza. Hogan recorded 19 saves in a losing effort.

Senior Zach Cohen was the beneficiary of another miscue by Hogan in the first period, as the Terriers took a 1-0 lead on their third power-play opportunity of the night.

A puck dumped into the zone by junior Kevin Shattenkirk hopped over Hogan's stick behind the net and made its way to sophomore Corey Trivino. Trivino spotted Cohen just above the crease and the senior redirected the puck to the top of the net at 16:13 just as Hogan returned to the cage.

The lead was doubled on another power play at 12:59 of the second, as junior Colby Cohen blasted a slapshot from the inside portion of the left circle past Hogan on assists from sophomore Chris Connolly and Shattenkirk.

Penalties marred the beginning of the third period, with each team having one player issued a game misconduct for hitting from behind.

BU killed off three power-play chances for the Wolverines in the early stages of the third and held onto the 2-0 lead before the visitors finally got on the board at 10:04 of the period. Robbie Czarnik potted his second goal of the season on a pass from Chris Summers following a Terrier turnover just inside their own zone.

Michigan made it a 2-2 affair with 5:30 left in regulation when Matt Rust roofed a shot from just outside the left crease on a play in transition. Summers and Luke Glendening assisted on the tally.

The Wolverines came up empty on all seven of their power-play chances in the game, while the Terriers converted two of their eight opportunities with the man advantage.

The Terriers return to the ice on Friday (Oct. 30) when they play the front end of a home-and-home series with conference foe UMass Lowell at 7 p.m. in Lowell, Mass.