Oct. 8, 2010

OXFORD, Ohio - Senior captain Carter Camper's two goals led No. 3 Miami to a 6-3 win over No. 8 New Hampshire Friday night in the opening game of the 2010-11 season at Steve Cady Arena at the Goggin Ice Center. Camper's goal at 3:11 of the third period was the game-winner while junior Alden Hirschfeld added two goals late in the third period to seal the victory.

For the second straight season, the RedHawks opened the season with a ranked opponent, taking down No. 13 St. Cloud State to start 2009-10.

"It's the type of games we want to be in so we get our guys used to playing at a high level and with a lot on the line," head coach Enrico Blasi said.

In an evenly matched opening period, neither team was able to gain the upper hand. The RedHawks took 11 shots on goal while New Hampshire put eight on goal, but both goaltenders held off the opposition. The RedHawks were whistled for three penalties but killed off all three before the first Wildcat went to the box.

The floodgates opened early in the second period as New Hampshire drew first blood with an even-strength goal by Phil DeSimone at 0:53 of the frame.

Miami got its first goal of the year and evened the score at 1-1 at 4:16 of the second period when senior Justin Vaive took a pass from classmate Pat Cannone between the circles and beat New Hampshire goaltender Matt DiGirolamo five-hole.

The RedHawks took the 2-1 lead at 6:56 of the second frame on a top-shelf shot from sophomore Steve Mason. Vaive and junior Trent Vogelhuber earned the assists.

"When you're at home you have to use the crowd in your favor," Vaive said. "Getting those few goals definitely got the crowd back in it. It gives momentum to the team and gets us going."

At 16:30 of the second period New Hampshire made it 2-2 with a power-play goal by Mike Sislo.

Camper put the RedHawks back in front, 3-2, with a goal at 17:47 of the second period. Camper and Hirschfeld came down the ice on a 2-on-1 break with Camper carrying it into the zone. Camper passed to the Hirschfeld on the right who sent it back across the goal for the one-timer into the yawning cage.

The Miami captain pushed the RedHawks' advantage to two with a goal at 3:11 of the third period. He took a pass from junior Patrick Tiesling along the left side in neutral ice, skated into the New Hampshire zone. As he moved toward the center, he shifted the puck to his forehand and fired a wrist shot just inside the left post.

The Wildcats refused to give up, responding by scoring at 5:36 of the final period to cut the Miami lead to 4-3. Connor Hardowa took a pass inside the right faceoff circle and sent in a shot through traffic that found its way into the Miami net.

Over the final 14 minutes, Miami kept up the attack. A New Hampshire penalty with 16:49 of the final frame gave Miami a power play that resulted in an insurance goal for the RedHawks.

Camper took the puck behind the net from the left side, stopped behind the goal, came back out the left side and sent it back to Hirschfeld inside the left circle. Hirschfeld fired a slap shot to finish the one-timer for the power-play goal and a 5-3 Miami lead at 18:43 of the final period. Tiesling earned the second assist.

"If you look at the great teams in the NHL, they'll bury teams when they're up one," Camper said. "They won't sit back, they'll keep the foot on the pedal in the third."

Hirschfeld added an empty netter with an assist from Tiesling, who finished with three helpers in his first game as a RedHawk, to close out the scoring.

The RedHawks killed off four of five penalties and converted on one of four power play opportunities.

Junior goaltender Cody Reichard stopped 23 of the 26 shots he faced and received praise from Blasi for his efforts.

"I thought Cody made some big saves," Blasi said.

The RedHawks face off against New Hampshire again at Steve Cady Arena at 7:05 p.m. on Saturday to conclude the series.