Oct. 22, 2010

ORONO, Maine - Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) scored two goals in the first 9:37 of the game as the University of Maine exploded for five first period goals en route to a 7-3 win over #2 North Dakota on Friday night in front of 5,216 fans at Alfond Arena. Maine moves to 2-1-2 on the season with the victory, while North Dakota falls to 3-1-1.

The Black Bears came out in the first period on fire, scoring five goals to take a 5-1 advantage into the first intermission. Robby Dee (Plymouth, Minn.) put the Black Bears up 1-0 just 43 seconds into the first period when he notched his fourth goal of the season. Joey Diamond (Long Beach, N.Y.) threw a shot that was kicked behind the net by Sioux goaltender Brad Eidsness. Dee was able to one-time the puck into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

Maine would extend its lead with its first of three first period power play goals. Diamond hit Adam Shemansky (Robbinsville, N.J.) who carried the puck into the Sioux zone and into the right circle. Shemansky centered the puck right on to the stick of Brian Flynn (Lynnfield, Mass.) who beat Eidsness to put Maine up 2-0.

Flynn would add his second power play goal of the game and his third overall 9:37 into the first period. Nyquist controlled the puck, bringing it into the Fighting Sioux zone and dumping a pass off to Spencer Abbott (Hamilton, Ontario). Abbott sent a pass through the middle, hitting Flynn perfectly who capitalized on the left post for Maine's third goal.

North Dakota would get on the board 10:50 into the period when Derek Rodwell came out of the penalty box and was tipped the puck by Danny Kristo. He took the puck in all alone and beat Maine goaltender Shawn Sirman (Blezard Valley, Ontario).

The Black Bears would respond with two more first period goals. Will O'Neill (Salem, Mass.) tallied his first goal of the season 12:16 into the first period. O'Neill's power play goal was started when Dee won the puck and sent a pass to Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta). House sent a pass to the blue line that was controlled by O'Neill. O'Neill skated and rifled a slap shot that hit the back of the net, beating new Fighting Sioux goaltender Aaron Dell.

Nyquist would put Maine up 5-1 to end the first period of play when he raced to win a loose puck in the neutral zone. Dell skated out close to the blue line to try and win the puck, but Nyquist flicked the puck past Dell and fired a wrist shot from the left circle into the open net. For Nyquist, the goal was the 100th point of his career.

Kyle Beattie (Avondale, Ariz.) opened the scoring in the second period for Maine. After Matt Mangene (Manorville, N.Y.) shot wide of the Sioux net, Mark Anthoine (Lewiston, Maine) gathered the puck behind the net and sent a pass into the middle of the slot. Dell had come out to play the puck, which snuck behind him to Beattie who put a backhand shot into the net. For Beattie, it was his second goal of the season.

House would notch his fourth goal of the season to put Maine up 7-1. Abbott skated the puck in the Fighting Sioux zone and slid a pass cross ice to House who gathered it just left of the Fighting Sioux net and tipped it into the back of the net. For House, it was his fourth goal of the season.

The Fighting Sioux would pick up their second goal, and first on the power play, when Matt Frattin scored his sixth goal of the season with 4:34 remaining in the second period. Brad Malone won the faceoff back to Frattin who slapped a shot into the back of the Maine net to cut the lead to 7-2 Black Bears.

The Fighting Sioux closed out the scoring at 6:08 of the third period when Brad Malone tallied his second goal of the season from Corban Knight.

Maine outshot North Dakota 27-22 in the game. The Black Bears were 3-for-10 on the power play, while North Dakota finished 1-for-6 with the man advantage.

Maine goalie Sirman made 19 saves in goal. He moves to 2-0-1 on the season. Aaron Dell picked up the loss for North Dakota. He played the final 50:23 of the game and allowed four goals on 18 shots. Brad Eidsness got the start and played the first 9:37. He made two saves while allowing three goals.

Maine and North Dakota conclude their two-game series on Saturday, Oct. 23 at Alfond Arena. Tickets are available and can be purchased at the door.