Nov. 6, 2010

Courtesy of Miami (OH)

- Miami University senior forward Andy Miele scored two goals but the Ferris State hockey team used a power play goal in the second period to break a 2-2 deadlock and held on for a 3-2 upset win over the top-ranked RedHawks Friday night at Ewigleben Ice Arena. Miami (5-2-2, 3-1-1-1 CCHA) suffered its first defeat in league play this year while FSU (5-3-1, 2-2-1-1 CCHA) snapped a three-game losing streak to the RedHawks.

Miami grabbed the lead just 3:06 into the game off the stick of Miele for his fifth tally of the year. Sophomore defenseman Steven Spinell blasted a shot from the point that senior captain Carter Camper deflected and was saved by FSU goalie Pat Nagle but the rebound went right to Miele who put the puck into the open net. Camper picked up his team-leading 14th assist of the year on the play while Spinell earned his second of 2010-11.

Ferris State answered 13:20 into the opening period with a short-handed goal, the Bulldogs first of the year, to even the contest. FSU cleared the puck out of its zone and it snuck past Miamis Cameron Schilling at the blue line allowing Jordie Johnston to catch up to it at center ice on a breakaway. His shot was deflected by junior goalie Cody Reichard and hit the crossbar but Mike Fillinger was at the doorstop to stuff it in.

With just 1:31 remaining in the first frame, Ferris State grabbed its first lead of the night - the first time Miami had trailed in CCHA play all year - as Nate Hennig won a draw in the Miami end that went right to Kyle Bonis, who beat Reichard with a one-timer, putting FSU up 2-1 through one period.

Midway through the second period, the ‘Hawks pulled even as Miele found the back of the net for the second time on the night, giving him his first multi-goal game of 2010-11 and ninth of his career. Schilling fired in a laser from the point through traffic that Nagle saved with his chest, but the puck caromed to Miele, who again had an easy goal on the rebound. Camper also picked up his second assist of the night on the score, giving him a nation-best 15 on the season.

Four minutes later, FSU jumped back on top, 3-2, with a 5-on-3 power play goal from Matthew Kirzinger, as he skated behind the Miami defense and beat Reichard over his right shoulder. Justin Menke and Zach Redmond picked up the helpers on the game-winning goal.

The two sides played an even third period as both teams managed five shots. The RedHawks pulled Reichard with just over a minute to play but Miami was unable to generate much of a threat with the man advantage and even had a 6-on-4 opportunity in the final eight seconds after FSU was called for a cross-check, but the Bulldogs escaped with the 3-2 victory.

The ‘Hawks were out-shot for the first time all year, 22-18, as Reichard finished with 19 saves while Nagle compiled 16 stops in the win. Miami went 0-for-4 on the power play while FSU capitalized on one of its four chances. The two teams combined for 12 penalties and 24 penalty minutes.

The RedHawks and Bulldogs will go at it again Saturday night at Ewigleben Ice Arena, as the ‘Hawks look for the series split. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m.