Miami (Ohio) Athletics

NOTRE DAME, Ind. -- For the second consecutive night, the No. 11/13 Miami and No. 9/9 Notre Dame played to a draw and went to a shootout after sophomore Reilly Smith knotted the game at 2-2 late in the third period to force overtime Saturday night at the Joyce Center. The Irish (16-9-5, 13-6-3-2 CCHA) won the shootout, 1-0, however, to earn the extra point in the standings after the RedHawks (14-9-5, 11-7-4-2 CCHA) claimed the shootout Friday, when the squads tied 5-5.

Miami was held to a season-low 15 shots on goal while Notre Dame managed just 26. Junior goalie Cody Reichard finished with 24 saves, plus a pair of shootout stops, while UND’s Steven Summerhays made 13 saves. Both sides notched a power play goal as the Irish went 1-for-3 while the ‘Hawks had just a pair of power plays, converting the second one.

For the second straight night, the Irish struck first, as Kevin Lind collected a failed Miami clear at the blue line and fired a shot on net. Reichard made the initial stop but the rebound slipped behind him and Anders Lee was waiting on the doorstep to knock it in 11:08 into the opening period.

As like Friday night’s game, the period would end with the Irish on top by one with UND holding a 7-3 edge in shots, despite not getting its first shot off until 9:30 into the game.

Miami nearly pulled all square early in the second stanza but senior Andy Miele missed an open net wide after a feed from Smith. The RedHawks finally did draw even at 1-1 with 8:39 remaining in the middle stanza as junior Alden Hirschfeld registered his 11th goal of the year. The ‘Hawks had the puck in the corner in the offensive zone when the puck deflected off an official where Miele gathered it and sent a cross-ice pass to Hirschfeld, who buried the one-timer. Senior Justin Vaive earned the second assist while Miele extended his point streak to seven games and added to his national points (49) and assists (34) lead.

Notre Dame reclaimed the lead on its third power play of the night with just 1:17 remaining in the second period. Riley Sheahan fired a shot from the point through traffic that deflected off a player and ricocheted to Reichard’s left where Lee was waiting and roofed the rebound before Reichard could recover to put the Irish up 2-1. It was Lee’s second tally of the night.

After struggling to find much offense during the first half of the third period, the RedHawks eventually evened the game 2-2 on the power play with 6:10 left in regulation. Senior Carter Camper passed the puck to junior Chris Wideman along the blue line to start the play. Wideman then sent a pass in between the circles where Smith redirected the puck past Summerhays five-hole. It was Smith’s CCHA-leading 19th goal of the year.

Miami kept heavy pressure on in the closing minutes of regulation, including a chance by junior Trent Vogelhuber that rattled off the post, but for the second straight night the game went to overtime. Neither side was able to produce much offense in the extra session, each managing just one shot, as the game went to a shootout.

Both goalies came up large in the first two rounds stopping the opposition each time. Summerhays then turned away Miele in the third round while UND freshman T.J. Tynan was able to sneak his shot past Reichard to give the Irish the 1-0 shootout victory.

After completing a four-game road trip, the RedHawks open a four-game home stand with a critical showdown against CCHA rival and No. 6/6 Michigan Friday and Saturday, Feb. 4-5, at Steve Cady Arena. Friday’s contest begins at 7:35 p.m. while Saturday’s puck drop is slated for 5:05 p.m.