Buckeye freshman Darik Angeli’s second goal of the game broke a one-all tie in the third period and senior Cal Heeter had 29 saves as the No. 14 Ohio State men’s hockey team defeated No. 7 Michigan 2-1 on Friday night in Yost Ice Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich. |

The Buckeyes, winners of their last six games and on an eight-game unbeaten streak, now are 9-3-1 on the year and 7-2-1-1 in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. They will meet Michigan (7-4-2, 3-4-2-1 CCHA) at 7:35 p.m. Saturday to wrap up the weekend series in Ann Arbor. The teams will also face off in Columbus Jan. 13 and in The Frozen Diamond Faceoff Jan. 15 outdoors at Progressive Field in Cleveland.

Michigan took a lead at 15:26 of the first period but the advantage stood for just 2:16 before Angeli tied the game. Neither team was able to score in the second, with each squad stopping two power play chances, including Ohio State holding the Wolverines scoreless on a shortened major power play in the stanza. In the third, Angeli gave Ohio State its first lead of the night with a goal from a sharp angle at 7:53. Ohio State was able to hold the Wolverines off the rest of the way, including stopping two power-play chances and the final 50 seconds with the UM net empty.

The teams traded goals in a 2:16 span of the first period and ended the stanza tied at 1. At 15:26 Michigan’s Mac Bennett opened the scoring, followed by Angeli putting in the rebound of a Ben Gallacher shot at 17:42. Senior Danny Dries had the second assist, as he was able to win the battle behind the net. Shots were 9-8 in favor of the Wolverines in the period and Ohio State had the only two power-play chances in the stanza.

Neither team was able to score in the second period. Heeter made 12 saves in the Ohio State net, with Shawn Hunwick stopping all 15 Ohio State attempts. The Buckeye penalty kill was 2-for-2, including stopping a major power play that was shortened to 3:35 because of a Wolverine penalty. Ohio State was 0-for-2 with the man advantage in the stanza.

The Buckeyes took their first lead of the game in the third and held on for the win. Freshman Al McLean kept in a Wolverine clearing attempt and passed to Angeli in the corner. His shot from a sharp angle bounced off Hunwick and in to put the Buckeyes up by one at 7:53. Ohio State had a power play at 11:26 but was unable to convert. The Wolverines had a chance with less than five minutes remaining, but the Buckeyes were able to kill off the advantage. With time winding down Michigan pulled Hunwick for the extra attacker, but Ohio State held strong for the one-goal win. Heeter stopped all nine shots he faced in the period, while Ohio State put 10 shots on the Wolverine net.

Ohio State outshot Michigan, 33-30, in the game. Heeter played all 60 minutes and had 29 saves for Ohio State. Hunwick had 31 saves in 59:10 between the pipes.

Neither team was able to score on the power play – Ohio State was 0-for-5 and held Michigan scoreless on four chances.