DURHAM, N.H. -- No. 7 Boston University knocked off a No. 1-ranked team for the second time in seven days, posting a 3-2 road victory against New Hampshire on Thursday at Whittemore Center.

BU jumped out to a 3-0 lead midway through the game and held off a late charge by the Wildcats, who had nine power-play chances in the contest.

Junior Sahir Gill scored a goal and added an assist while senior Wade Megan and freshman Sam Kurker also scored for the Terriers, who improved to 9-5-0 overall and 7-4-0 in Hockey East play. Freshman Matt O'Connor made 31 saves to pick up the win in goal. UNH suffered its first home loss of the season and fell to 11-2-2 overall with an 8-2-1 conference mark.

The Terriers avoided a season sweep at the hands of the Wildcats as UNH had won the teams' first two meetings this season. BU defeated then-No. 1 Boston College on Friday by a score of 4-2 to knock the Eages from the top spot in the rankings.

BU got on the board first when Megan knocked in a loose puck at the left crease just 4:39 into the contest. After an initial shot by Grzelcyk from the left circle, Gill freed up the puck before UNH goaltender Casey DeSmith could cover it up.

The Terriers took the 1-0 lead into the first intermission and then added two more in the first half of the middle period.

Junior Garrett Noonan won a puck along the boards at center ice and got the puck up to sophomore Cason Hohmann. Gill joined the play to create a 2-on-2 rush and got separation from the defenders before Hohmann slid a pass to him. He skated in before backhanding the puck off DeSmith and in at 4:01 of the second.

Just four minutes later, Kurker provided the eventual game-winner. Freshman Ahti Oksanen took a pass from Wesley Myron and fired a shot that went over the net and off the glass. The puck went high in the air and landed in the slot, where Kurker shot the puck through traffic and between DeSmith's legs to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.

BU gave UNH four power-play opportunities in the second period and the Wildcats used the third of those to finally get on the board.

Following a pass from Nick Sorkin, Kevin Goumas elevated a shot over O'Connor from the foot of the right circle to make it a 3-1 affair with 5:55 left in the second period.

In the third, John Henrion made it a one-goal game when he corralled a rebound in the left circle and wristed a shot past O'Connor with 8:06 left in regulation.

With 2:07 left to play, an interference call on Megan gave UNH late hope with its ninth man-up chance of the game. DeSmith was pulled in favor of an extra attacker with 1:26 remaining to create a 6-on-4, but the Terrier penalty kill was up to the task and BU held on for the key road win.

DeSmith made 24 saves for the home squad, which held a 33-27 shot advantage. BU came up empty on four power-play chances but killed off eight of UNH's nine.