In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it | October 27, 2013

Men's Ice Hockey

Minnesota-Duluth 4, No. 2 Notre Dame 1

DULUTH, Minn. -- Minnesota-Duluth turned in perhaps its strongest first period of the season, scoring three times in a span of 3:25 and went on to turn back Notre Dame 4-1, handing the Irish their first loss of 2013-14.

UMD, which out shot the Irish 14-3 in the opening 20 minutes of play, got on the board at the 6:36 mark when senior right winger Joe Basaraba roofed a backhand past Notre Dame goaltender Chad Katunar for his second goal of the year. Junior center Caleb Herbert scored the eventual game winner, stuffing in a loose puck, just nine seconds later (three seconds shy of the program record for fastest two goals) before rookie center Dominic Toninato made it a 3-0, with his first collegiate goal. Freshman left winger Kyle Osterberg rounded out the UMD scoring, finishing off a two-on-one with Herbert midway through the second period.

Notre Dame, a 3-2 victor on Friday night, spoiled senior goaltender Aaron Crandall's bid for a fifth career shutout -- and the Bulldogs' first blanking of the Irish -- by scoring on the power play with 6:38 remaining in regulation.

Crandall, making his third consecutive start, finished with 20 saves while improving to 2-1-0 on the year. Katunar had 11 stops before being replaced at the start of the second period by Steven Summerhays, who turned back 15 of Bulldog shots.

No. 3 Miami (Ohio) 4, No. 8 Providence 4

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- For the second consecutive night, Miami (Ohio) erased a two-goal deficit, this time on three separate occasions, to force overtime and skated to a 4-4 tie with Providence on Saturday night at Schneider Arena.

Just a night after falling in overtime despite battling back from two goals down, the RedHawks (3-2-1) again needed a third-period rally to force extra time against Hockey East’s Friars (4-0-1) as the two evenly matched teams have played to a 1-1-2 record in four consecutive overtime games dating back to last season. Last Oct. 19-20 in Oxford, Ohio, Miami and Providence played to a 1-1 tie on Friday night before the RedHawks took a 4-3 win in overtime in the Saturday night game.

Despite drastically reducing the number of penalties from the previous night, special teams again played a major role in the game for both sides as five of the combined eight goals were scored with a man in the penalty box. After serving 43 minutes on 12 penalties on Friday night, Miami was called for just four penalties for eight minutes on Saturday. Providence, meanwhile, cut its penalties to six from eight the night before. The RedHawks scored twice on the power play and once short-handed, their second of the season, while the Friars went 2-for-3 with the man-advantage.

Miami sophomore forward Riley Barber scored twice and added an assist bringing his season totals to eight goals and 12 points, both of which lead the nation. His linemate, junior captain Austin Czarnik, assisted on three goals for his third multi-assist game of the season. Czarnik trails only Barber nationally in points with 11.

No. 18 Massachusetts-Lowell 2, No. 4 Michigan 1

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Massachusetts-Lowell (3-3-0, 0-0-0 Hockey East) handed Michigan (4-1-1, 0-0-0 Big 10) its first loss of the season with a hard-fought, high-caliber 2-1 win. Sophomore goaltender Connor Hellebuyck held the potent Wolverine offense at bay with 38 saves to lead UMass Lowell to its second win in as many nights.

Ryan McGrath got the River Hawks on the board first, tipping home a pass from Joseph Pendenza at the right post. The power-play tally came at 1:03 of the second period. UMass Lowell's lead was short lived, however, as Michigan scored a quirky goal 24 seconds later. After Michael Kapla's attempted pass bounced off the back of the net and careened to the front of the net, Michigan's Evan Allen jumped on the surprise opportunity to even the score at 1-1.

The two teams each had ample opportunities in the second period with 33 shots between the two in the stanza as Hellebuyck and Michigan goaltender Zach Nagelvoort kept their respective teams in the game. A lapse in discipline by Michigan opened the door for the River Hawks as forward Phil Di Giuseppe was whistled off at 7:35 of the third after burying Pendenza from behind in his own offensive zone. Di Giuseppe earned himself a trip to the locker room with a five-minute major for hitting from behind and a game misconduct, sending UMass Lowell onto a five-minute power play.

After failing to score in the first four minutes of the power play, River Hawks head coach Norm Bazin called for a timeout to give his squad time to regroup. Less than 30 seconds later, Michigan native Adam Chapie quieted the hometown crowd with his power-play goal at 11:58 of the third. After working the puck around to the left wing side, Scott Wilson passed the puck to Josh Holmstrom. With no shot available, Holmstrom passed it back to Chapie who roofed it over Nagelvoort's right shoulder.

No. 7 Yale 3, Princeton 2

NEWARK, N.J. -- The first win of the season for Yale was a complete team effort, the perfect way to head into ECAC play. Two different Bulldogs hit the net and five others had assists as the Yale beat Princeton 3-2 in the finale of the Liberty Hockey Invitational at the Prudential Center.

Yale (1-1) outshot the Tigers 30-24 and won most of the other battles to split the weekend tournament at the home of the New Jersey Devils. Princeton (1-1) scored both of its goals on the advantage, including a six-on-four with eight seconds left in the game.

Freshman Patrick Spano, playing in his first collegiate regular-season contest, stopped 22 shots including 11 in the third period.

A New Jersey native got Yale a 1-0 lead three minutes into the opening frame. Matthew Beattie took a pass from defenseman Mitch Witek and skated over the blueline. Beattie held the puck until he got to the top of the left circle and then fired a low wrister past Bonar.

The Blue upped the lead to two on a great pass by Carson Cooper. He took a pass from Ryan Obuchowski and carried toward the net and then sent the puck back to Trent Ruffolo, who shot it low. Junior forward Nicholas Weberg, who had two goals, was on the edge of the crease and managed to re-direct it past Bonar at 6:14.

Tyler Maugeri's power-play, one-timer made it 2-1 late in the period, and Princeton ended the 20 minutes with 10 shots on target.

Sophomore Stu Wilson, who scored a goal Friday night against Brown and earned a spot on the LHI all-tournament team, made a spectacular play while killing off a penalty in the second that gave the Elis a 3-1 advantage. He checked a Tiger off the puck in the Princeton end, took it low and deked around a defenseman and then found a passing lane to hit Weberg heading for the cage. The perfect feed was deposited into the net by Weberg at 9:59.

No. 9 Quinnpiac 4, Holy Cross1

HAMDEN, Conn. -- Quinnipiac freshman Sam Anas scored twice to lead the Bobcats to a 3-1 win against Holy Cross in front of a sold-out crowd of 3,525 at High Point Solutions Arena at the TD Bank Sports Center. The win gives Quinnipiac six consecutive victories as it improves to 6-1-0 on the year. Holy Cross drops to 0-5-0 on the season.

Sam Anas' two-goal night is his second this week after scoring twice against Bentley on Tuesday. After scoring in Friday night's 4-2 win at Holy Cross, Anas now has five goals in his past three games and six overall. Bryce Van Brabant scored his second goal of the season while Travis St. Denis scored an empty-net goal with 7.5  seconds remaining in regulation. Kellen Jones had two assists in the game to give him six for the year. Twin brother Connor Jones set-up Anas' second goal for his 98th career point.

After Holy Cross scored the game's first goal less than five minutes into the game, Quinnipiac dominated play, outshooting the Crusaders 48-18 through regulation while they were also two for six on the power play. Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig, after giving up the game's first goal, settled in to stop the next 15 shots on goal through the end of regulation.

No. 10 St. Cloud St. 4, Colgate 3

HAMILTON, N.Y. -- St. Cloud St. (3-0-1, 0-0-0 NCHC) gained its first weekend sweep of the season with a 4-3 victory at Colgate (2-4-1) on Saturday.

The Huskies used an explosive first period to grab a 4-0 lead and then hung on to claim the victory against the Raiders.

SCSU rookie Niklas Nevalainen opened the night's scoring with a power-play goal at 2:07 of the first. Sophomore defender Ethan Prow and sophomore forward Kalle Kossila added assists on the play. The goal was Nevalainen's first collegiate goal and point in a Husky uniform.

At 8:26 of the first, freshman Ryan Papa pushed his consecutive goal streak to two games with assists from sophomore forward David Morley and Nevalainen.

The Huskies then stretched their lead to 3-0 with an even-strength goal by Kossila at 13:14 of the first. Nevalaine and Prow coined their second assists of the night on the play. The goal was Kossila's first of the season.

The game-winner honors went to senior captain Nic Dowd, who added his second shorthanded game-winning goal of the season at 16:02 of the first. Dowd now has nine game winners in his career, which ranks ninth in the team records.

Colgate charged back with a power-play goal at 7:49 of the second period by Kyle Baun on assists by Tylor Spink and Matt Borkowski.

Darcy Murphy posted Colgate's second goal of the night at 15:40 of the second and Baun added Colgate's third goal at 3:08 of the final period.