In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | October 27, 2013

Minnesota ties Boston College

No. 1 Minnesota 3, No. 5 Boston College 3

MINNEAPOLIS -- In an exciting, back-and-forth tilt at Mariucci Arena, Minnesota and Boston College battled to a 3-3 tie on Friday night. Eight different Gophers recorded a point and goaltender Adam Wilcox made 31 saves on the night. Minnesota finished with a 39-34 edge in shots.

Just 30 ticks into the game, the Gophers staked themselves to a 1-0 lead when freshman Hudson Fasching whacked home a Kyle Rau rebound. After Boston College’s Kevin Hayes took the game’s first penalty at the 3:16, Rau found fellow junior Travis Boyd on the back door at the 4:30 mark to give Minnesota a two-goal lead.

Minnesota’s lead, however, disappeared even quicker than it came to be. Eagle forward Johnny Gaudreau potted a power-play tally at the 8:31 mark and Michael Sit scored two goals in 11 seconds to give BC a 3-2 lead. All three goals came in a 1:11 span.

The teams exchanged chances in the middle stanza, but with 4:27 to play in the frame the Gophers’ freshman class connected for the game-tying goal.

After collecting the puck following in-zone pressure from the Eagles, Michael Brodzinski hit fellow rookie Justin Kloos with a breakout pass. Kloos zipped up the ice and dished the puck to Taylor Cammarata, who sniped his second goal of the season from the right faceoff circle.

No. 2 Notre Dame 3, Minnesota-Duluth 2

DULUTH, Minn. -- Three second-period goals by Jeff Costello, Mario Lucia and Peter Schneider led Notre Dame to a 3-2 road win against Minnesota-Duluth on Friday night in front of 6,353 at AMSOIL Arena.

Senior goaltender Steven Summerhays got the win in goal but played just 45:30 as he received a major penalty for grabbing the face mask and a game misconduct with more than 14 minutes left in the game. Freshman Chad Katunar got his baptism under fire as he came into the game, having to hold off the Bulldogs while the Irish killed the five-minute major. He surrendered just one goal on a five-on-three during that time and stopped five of six shots in his first collegiate action.

Cal Decowski and Andy Welinski scored for Minnesota Duluth.

The win improves the Irish to 5-0-0 on the season and gives them their best start since a 6-0-0 run at the start of the 1998-99 season. The Bulldogs are now 2-2-1 and the loss snaps a run of seven consecutive wins at home for them.

No. 8 Providence 3, No. 3 Miami (Ohio) 2

PROVIDENCE, R. I. -- Freshman Niko Rufo's first career game-winning goal came 1:38 into overtime against Miami (Ohio) when his sharp-angle shot eluded RedHawk goaltender Jay Williams to send the Friars to a 3-2 win on Friday night in front of a sold-out crowd at Schneider Arena.

Providence moves to 4-0-0 to start the season, while Miami is now 3-2-0. It marks the first time since the 2003-04 season the Friars have started a season 4-0-0.

The Friars held a 2-0 lead after the first 40 minutes of play against the RedHawks after scoring once in each of the first two periods of play. Sophomore Steven McParland gave the Friars the lead with an early first-period goal and classmate Mark Jankowski added an unassisted goal at 1:22 of the second period for Providence. However, the Friars, for the first time this season, surrendered two power-play goals in the third period and the game went to overtime.

Special teams proved to play an integral role in the game with the final three goals all coming on the power plays, including the game winner which was a 5-on-3 goal. Both goaltenders played well for their teams as Miami's Jay Williams stopped 35 of 38 shots and Friars sophomore Jon Gillies made 33 saves in the win.

No. 4 Michigan 2, No. 13 Boston University 1

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan scored twice in the third period to earn a 2-1 win against Boston University on Friday night at Yost Ice Arena. The game winner came off of the stick of Alex Guptill, who beat BU goaltender Matt O’Connor between the pads on a penalty shot at 8:46 of the final frame. The game was the first matchup between the two teams since 2009, and U-M's first victory against the Terriers since 2007 when the Wolverines won by a 6-2 margin.

After BU’s Robbie Baillargeon scored in the first and a scoreless second despite Michigan’s 16-6 shot advantage, the Wolverines scored twice in the final frame to seal the win. Tyler Motte evened the game with a power-play goal early in the third period.

The only goal of the first frame came at 18:25 when BU's Baillargeon sent home a shot over Zach Nagelvoort's right shoulder to give the Terriers a 1-0 lead.

Around three minutes into the third period, in the midst of scrum in front of the net, the puck crossed BU's goal line but the score in favor of the Wolverines was called back when it was ruled that Luke Moffatt batted in the puck with his hand.

The score began to turn in Michigan's favor at 7:16 of the third frame when Motte scored on a one-timer off a cross-ice pass from Mac Bennett. The tally was Motte's fourth in as many games and team-leading fourth goal of the season.

A little more than a minute later, Guptill was awarded a penalty shot after a hooking call against BU. He wove the puck down and then put it home through the five-hole to give the Maize and Blue a 2-1 lead.

Brown 4, No. 7 Yale 1

NEWARK, N.J. -- Sophomore Mark Naclerio scored a pair of goals to help the Bears rally from an early deficit as Brown downed defending-national champion Yale 4-1 in the season opener for both teams and first game of the Liberty Invitational on Friday afternoon at the Prudential Center. As part of the Liberty Invite, the game does not count in the ECAC or Ivy League standings.

Brown opens up the season at 1-0-0 and earned a season-opening victory for the second consecutive year.

Senior Marco De Filippo stopped 31 shots in between the pipes for the Bears to move to 1-0-0, while Alex Lyon registered 27 saves for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs opened up the scoring with a power-play goal at 5:01 in the second period when Frank DiChiara sent a pass from the right circle behind the net, where Stu Wilson gained control, moved in front of the net, and pulled back on a shot with enough time to sneak the puck past De Filippo for the early lead.

Brown needed just 11 seconds a second-period power play to even the score, as Naclerio scored the team's first goal of the season.

Brown took immediate control in the third as Naclerio scored his second tally of the contest to give the Bears the one-goal lead. Sophomore Nick Lappin skated down the right side of the offensive end and pushed a pass back to the top of the slot, where Naclerio rifled a shot over the shoulder of Lyon to give the Bears the 2-1 advantage. Additionally, Brandon Pfeil earned his second assist of the game on the play.

The Bears notched an insurance goal at 12:51 when junior Matt Harlow skated behind the net for the wraparound attempt, which was initially saved, but he continued to attack until the puck was pushed in between Lyon's skate and the post for the 3-1 lead.

Lappin added an empty net goal at 18:18 to seal the victory, while Naclerio and Lorito earned assists on the play.

No. 9 Quinnipiac 4, Holy Cross 2

WORCESTER, Mass. -- Quinnipiac freshman Sam Anas scored the go-ahead goal late in the third and Travis St. Denis scored twice as the Bobcats erased a 2-0 deficit to defeat Holy Cross 4-2 at the Hart Center. The Bobcats won their fifth consecutive game to improve to 5-1-0 on the year while Holy Cross drops to 0-4-0 on the season.

For Anas, it is his third goal during his past two games after a two-goal night against Bentley on Tuesday. Kellen Jones scored the game-tying goal before picking up the second assist on Anas' game winner. Travis St. Denis scored twice, including the Bobcats' first goal of the game, and another in the final minute to give Quinnipiac the insurance goal. Connor Jones assisted on Kellen and St. Denis' second goal of the game.

Michael Garteig won his fifth consecutive game between the pipes after stopping 11 of Holy Cross' 13 shots on goal.

No. 10 St. Cloud St. 4, Colgate 2

HAMILTON, N.Y. -- St. Cloud St. (2-0-1, 0-0-0 NCHC) remained unbeaten in 2013-14 thanks to a solid 4-2 victory at Colgate (2-3-1) on Friday.

The Huskies controlled the scoreboard early in the contest and then finished with two unanswered goals to earn the non-conference win against the Raiders. SCSU now owns a 4-0-1 series record against Colgate.

SCSU opened the night's scoring a 12:15 of the first period when senior forward Cory Thorson scored his first goal of the new season with assists from linemates junior Brooks Bertsch and junior Nick Oliver. The assists also marked the first points of the new season for both Bertsch and Oliver.

The Huskies charged to a 2-0 lead at 3:10 of the second period with an even-strength marker by forward Ryan Papa, which was his first point and goal as a collegiate player. He was assisted on the goal by sophomore Jimmy Murray and sophomore David Morley. Once again, these were the first points on the season for Murray and Morley.

Colgate got back into the action at 19:20 of the second period with a power-play goal by Kyle Baun. Tyson Spink and Mike Borkowski both had assists on the play that made the score 2-1. Spink tied the contest at 15:01 of the third period with an even-strength goal as Tylor Spink and Baun had assists on the play.

SCSU reclaimed the lead at 15:46 of the third period as Oliver scored the eventual game winner with assists from sophomore Ethan Prow and Thorson. This was Oliver first goal of the season and it was also Prow's first assist of the campaign. To finish the evening's scoring, sophomore Jonny Brodzinski put his name in the goal column for the first time this season with an empty netter at 19:35 of the third.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners