In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag

undefined | December 11, 2013

Michigan wins game in shootout against Ferris State

michigan, dartmouth, hockey

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- After skating to a 2-2 tie against Ferris State on Wednesday night, Michigan earned a 2-1 shootout win in seven rounds inside Yost Ice Arena.

Alex Guptill and Andrew Copp provided the regulation goals for the Wolverines and Zach Nagelvoort made several stops in the shootout and 29 saves in regulation.

U-M led 2-1 until Ferris's Brandon Anselmini scored at 14:22 of the third to even up the game at 2-2. After a scoreless overtime, Alex Kile scored the clinching goal against Ferris State goaltender C.J. Motte (28 saves) in the shootout.

Ferris State took a 1-0 lead at 13:06 of the first period when Kyle Schempp broke away with a loose puck for a partial breakaway. Schempp cut to his backhand to avoid a Michigan defender in his way and snapped the puck past Nagelvoort.

At 14:26, the Wolverines evened up the score on a fortuitous bounce. Copp attempted to center the puck from behind the net, but the puck deflected off Ferris State defenseman Justin Buzzeo and trickled past Motte and was good to tie the game up 1-1.

The score remained tied 1-1 until Guptill scored an unassisted goal less than one minute into the middle frame. Guptill took advantage of a Ferris State defensive-zone turnover and snapped a wrist shot home for his sixth goal of the season. Guptill has now registered points in six consecutive games (4-4-8).

When neither team managed to score in the five-minute overtime period, the game went into a shootout. Copp scored first for Michigan in the second round when he flipped a backhand shot under Motte's legs. Ferris State's Garrett Thompson answered in the same round to tie up the score 1-1.

In the seventh round with the score still knotted up at 1-1, Kile slid the puck off the post and past the goal line with a backhander, and after a quick review to ensure it crossed completely, the shootout score moved to 2-1. Nagelvoort then denied Ferris State's Justin DeMartino to ice it.

No. 10 Union (N.Y.) 3, Dartmouth 2

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- Union (N.Y.) extended its win streak to eight games with a 3-2 victory against Dartmouth at Messa Rink in a rare mid-week contest. Union (11-3-2) is off to its best conference start as a Division I program, having earned 16 of a possible 18 points behind an 8-1-0 league mark.

The victory did not come easily, as Union was outshot for just the second time this season (39-30). Looking to avenge a 7-2 loss in the conference opener against Union on Nov. 1, Dartmouth (2-10-0/2-8-0) led most of the game before Union scored twice in the third period to win for the 10th time in 11 outings.

Dartmouth's Tyler Sikura opened scoring with a slapshot at 3:22 of the first period. Daniel Carr answered for Union 17 seconds into the second period, with a shot between the circles.

Just 39 seconds later, the Big Green reclaimed the lead behind Ryan Bullock's first goal of the season.

The visitors held on the 2-1 advantage until the 9:39 mark of the third period, when Nick Cruice knocked home a loose puck just outside the crease. Freshman Michael Pontarelli then provided the game-winning goal with 3:46 left in regulation, tapping in a rebound to the left of the net on the power play.

Goaltender Colin Stevens made a career-high 37 saves to record his seventh consecutive win.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners