In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | December 29, 2013

No. 10 Mass.-Lowell tops Clarkson

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Tenth-ranked Massachusetts-Lowell picked up its second win in as many days in the Catamount Cup with its 3-1 victory against No. 9 Clarkson on Sunday afternoon. The RiverHawks will have to wait until the conclusion of Vermont's game to determine whether they will earn the tournament title.

The win was UMass-Lowell's eighth in its past nine games.

Despite the first period being filled with five penalties, no goals were scored until Josh Holmstrom connected on the power play for his fourth goal of the year. In all, three total goals were scored on the man advantage.

Clarkson would tie the game 38 seconds into the third period thanks to a goal from Ben Sexton.

The game stayed tied until the 14:21 mark of the period when Scott Wilson scored his third goal of the year to give UMass-Lowell a 2-1 lead.

Evan Campbell's first goal of the year gave the RiverHawks an insurance goal with 1:02 left in the game. 

Doug Carr made 18 saves, with nine of those coming in the first period, to pick up the win.

No. 8 Quinnipiac 2, Massachusetts 2 (OT)

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Quinnipiac tied Massachusetts 2-2 but won in a shootout (2-0) to advance to the UConn Hockey Classic Championship Game on Monday. Quinnipiac goes to 13-3-4 on the year while UMass goes to 6-12-3.

Less than two minutes into the game, Quinnipiac freshman Tim Clifton was called for hitting from behind, giving UMass a man advantage. Kellen Jones picked off a UMass clear deep in the Minutemen's defensive zone and wristed  a shot from the right face-off circle past Umass goalie Steve Mastalerz to give the Bobcats an early lead. It was Jones' 10th goal of the year and his NCAA-best third shorthanded marker of the season.

With just under five minutes to play in the period, UMass' Emerson Auvenshine scored the first of two UMass goals in the closing minutes of the first period. Auvenshine threw a brutal hit on a Quinnipiac skater that knocked the puck loose. Zack LaRue picked up the puck and fired on Bobcats' goalie Michael Garteig, who stopped the initial shot. Auvenshine was crashing the goal and was able to tip it past the Bobcats goalie to tie the game at 1-1. With 19 seconds remaining in the period, Ray Pigozzi fed Troy Power in the slot where he one-timed a shot past Garteig to give UMass a one-goal lead heading into the first intermission.

Early in the second period, Matthew Peca carried the puck into the UMass zone and fed Travis St. Denis who skated into the right face-off circle and left the puck for Clifton. Clifton carried a UMass defenseman around the back of the UMass goal before reaching over the goalline and tucking the puck in off of Mastalerz's skate to tie the game 2-2 with his first career goal.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners