In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | January 4, 2014

Roundup: Quinnipiac edges Maine

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota skated to a 2-2 tie with Colgate before falling in a shootout Friday night at Mariucci Arena in the teams' Mariucci Classic-opening game. Gophers junior captain Kyle Rau tallied his 100th career point with on Travis Boyd's third-period, game-tying goal before the Raiders advanced to Saturday's tournament championship with a 2-1 shootout win.

The shootout was the first at the Mariucci Classic since Northeastern advanced to the 2011-12 edition of the tournament with a win against Princeton and the first involving Minnesota since the Gophers earned third place in 2008 with a 2-0 shootout victory against Air Force.

After piling up eight shots in the first five minutes of regulation and emerging from the opening frame scoreless, Minnesota found the back of the net first in the middle stanza. After denying a Colgate clearing attempt at the blue line, freshman defenseman Michael Brodzinski potted his fifth goal of the season to give the Gophers a 1-0 lead with a shot that made its way through traffic and past Raider netminder Charlie Finn.

Colgate answered 6:04 later when Tim Harrison threw a sharp-angle shot on goal and linemate Joe Wilson crashed the net for the equalizer.

The Raiders pulled ahead for the end of the second period, capitalizing on a Minnesota turnover in the neutral zone that allowed Darcy Murphy and Daniel Gentzler to go in on Gopher goaltender Adam Wilcox unabated. Gentzler passed to Murphy, who snapped a shot that beat Wilcox to the stick side.

The Gophers would even the score 10:31 into the third period on their fourth power-play attempt of the night when Reilly took a pass from Rau and set up Boyd in the left circle for a one-timer that trickled past the goal line after being slowed down by Finn.

No. 2 Ferris State 6, Rennselaer 2

MINNEAPOLIS -- Ferris State came back from the holiday break in a big way as the Bulldogs stormed past Rennselaer in a 6-2 victory on Friday night to advance to the championship game of the 23rd annual Mariucci Classic.

Friday's victory pushed Ferris State's nation-leading unbeaten streak to 16 consecutive games (13-0-3) and ranks as the longest such streak in school history. The Bulldogs have not lost a game in more than two months since Oct. 18 of this season.

The Bulldogs started quickly with a pair of goals less than seven minutes into the first period of play in their first contest in 19 days. Senior forward Garrett Thompson opened the scoring with an even-strength rebound goal for his 10th marker of the year only 7:06 into the contest off assists from sophomore forward Matt Robertson and freshman defenseman Ryan Lowney.

FSU pushed the advantage to 2-0 at 13:45 of the first frame when junior Justin Buzzeo found the back of the net on a top shelf shot for his ninth goal of the campaign. Assists were credited to Thompson and Robertson on the power-play score as both picked up their second points of the night.

However, Colgate answered at 17:24 of the opening frame when Milos Bubela scored on a five-on-three advantage with a one-timer from the circle to cut the margin back to a single goal. Both Matt Neal and Jacob Laliberte earned the helpers.

Ferris State again asserted itself in the second period with a pair of goals in the first eight minutes of action to push the advantage to three goals after two periods of action.

No. 8 Quinnipiac 2, Maine 1

HAMDEN, Conn. -- Jordan Samuels-Thomas knocked home the game-winning goal with just more than a minute remaining to push No. 8 Quinnipiac past Maine 2-1 on Friday night from High Point Solutions Arena. Quinnipiac improves to 15-3-4 on the season and 8-1-2 at home while the Black Bears drop to 10-7-2 on the year.

With the score knotted at 1-1 throughout much of the second and third periods, both side had their opportunities but none converted until Samuels-Thomas' ninth goal of the season and second game winner. The game-deciding play started with an excellent defensive poke away by junior Dan Federico on a Maine transition piece. Federico flicked the puck up to Samuels-Thomas who shielded off a Black Bear defender and feed his linemate Travis St. Denis who gave off to Federico back at the point. Federico's slap shot was deflected in front by senior Cory Hibbeler off the boards behind the Maine goal to the far post where Samuels-Thomas was waiting. He corraled the puck and stuffed it past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette off his leg pads and into the back of the net.

The 2-1 win represents the Bobcats second consecutive win against Maine after having not won in their first three previous meetings. Hibbeler was a key player on the offensive end as he picked up two assists on the evening while sophomore goalie Michael Garteig played one of his game games of the year with 29 saves on 30 Maine shots. Gartieg stepped up his play with a pair of saves on Maine breakaways, one each in the first and second periods.

Kellen Jones scored the first goal of the game, 2:09 into the second period, after collecting his own rebound and punching it past Maine goalie Martin Ouellette. Maine sophomore center Devin Shore tied the game just under the 10-minute mark with his ninth goal of the season.

No. 9 Massachusetts-Lowell 1, No. 11 Clarkson 1

LOWELL, Mass. -- Joseph Pendenza and Sam Lebrecque traded goals at either end of the ice as Massachusetts-Lowell and Clarkson battled to a 1-1 draw before 3,457 people, at the Tsongas Center, on Friday night.

The tie is the first of the year for UMass-Lowell, whose record now stands at 13-5-1. Clarkson is 12-5-2. The game was the 10th in the Golden Knights' past 11 to be decided by one goal or less.

UMass Lowell jumped on the board first. Pendenza, a senior from Wilmington, Mass., lit the lamp at the 7:02 mark of the first period drilling a wrist shot above the goalie's glove and under the crossbar. He was set up in front of the net by a perfect pass from senior captain Josh Holmstrom, who got to the loose puck, following an offensive zone faceoff, along the back boards and snapped a pinpoint pass to the low slot finding Pendenza moving from the faceoff circle to the net front. The goal was Pendenza's seventh of the season.

The frustration for UMass-Lowell was that it was never able to build on the hard-fought lead. The River Hawks outshot Clarkson in the game 39-28 and most significantly in the final period 17-7.

Clarkson tied the game late in the third period. Lebrecque got the goal leading an odd-man rush, holding the puck before putting a wrist shot into the top of the River Hawk net. The goal at 14:19 of the third period was unassisted and the game was knotted.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners