In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | January 5, 2014

UMass-Lowell rallies from 2-0 deficit to win

MINNEAPOLIS -- After winning a shootout against top-ranked Minnesota last night, Colgate took home the 2014 Mariucci Classic title with a 3-0 shutout against No. 2 Ferris State.

Colgate (8-9-3) got another great start from rookie goalie Charlie Finn as he earned his first collegiate shutout with 19 saves.

Darcy Murphy added his 10th goal of the season, while Spiro Goulakos and Mike McCann also scored for the Raiders. Brett Corkey was the point leader for Colgate with a pair of assists.

It was the second shutout of the season against the Bulldogs and the win ended Ferris State's 16-game unbeaten streak, which was the longest in the nation.

Ferris State (15-3-2) saw C.J. Motte make 26 saves between the pipes, including 12 in the second period. The Bulldogs struggled on the power play, going 0-for-5 with the extra skater.

No. 1 Minnesota 6, Rensselaer 2

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota defeated Rensselaer 6-2 to claim third place at the Mariucci Classic at Mariucci Arena on Saturday night. The Gophers put forth a 44-shot effort and used a three-goal second period to propel them to their first victory of the 2014 calendar year. Junior Travis Boyd led the way for Minnesota with three points and fellow third-year forward Kyle Rau potted two goals, including the game winner.

Boyd, who had two goals and two assists on the weekend, and teammate Marshall were named to the Mariucci Classic all-tournament team.

Despite a 15-6 edge in shots in the first period, the Gophers went into the first intermission tied at one. RPI senior Brock Higgs opened the game's scoring at the 15:57 with a short-handed tally, but Minnesota responded with under a minute to go when Connor Reilly redirected a Justin Holl point shot past Engineer netminder Scott Diebold.

The second period got off to an auspicious start for the home team when Boyd sniped home his second goal in as many games just 21 seconds into the frame. Rau padded the lead 58 seconds later, banging home his own rebound after whacking away at a Marshall point shot.

After another shot from Marshall yielded a Diebold rebound, Justin Kloos slammed home his seventh goal of the season to make it 4-1 at the 6:49 mark.

No. 4 Providence 1, Merrimack 1 (OT)

BOSTON -- Providence skated to a 1-1 overtime tie against Merrimack in non-conference game at Fenway Park on Saturday as a part of Citi Frozen Fenway 2014.

After two scoreless periods both teams tallied a goal in the third period. Merrimack (4-9-3, 1-5-2 HEA) struck first when Mike Collin connected at 7:23. Providence senior captain Steven Shamanski tied the game at 9:49 on a highlight-reel goal.

Freshman goaltender Nick Ellis finished with a career-high 30 saves, while Rasmus Tirronen made 32 stops for Merrimack.

With the non-conference tie, Providence improved to 7-1-3 in non-conference games this season.

Playing in the third installment of Frozen Fenway, the Friars and Warriors each made their first appearances in the event.

No. 6 Boston College 4, No. 14 Notre Dame 3

BOSTON -- Junior Johnny Gaudreau scored twice and senior Bill Arnold added a short-handed goal and two assists to lead Boston College to a 4-3 Hockey East victory against Notre Dame at Fenway Park on Saturday night as part of Citi Frozen Fenway.

The Eagles raced out to an early lead on goals by sophomore Brendan Silk and Gaudreau in the first period before the Irish knotted the game at 2-2 early in the second. The game was even again at 3-3 before Gaudreau netted the game winner at 8:21 of the third frame.

The Irish tied the game at 3-3 on a broken play at 7:29 of the third after Bryan Rust ripped it past goaltender Brian Billett's glove.

Gaudreau put the Eagles up to stay at the 8:21 mark of the final frame. Arnold started the play with a blocked shot in the Eagle zone. Kevin Hayes corralled it and drove the length of the ice, finding Gaudreau in front, who went five hole for the game winner.

Sophomore Michael Matheson triggered the first scoring play by tossing the puck off of Irish goalie Steven Summerhays in the slot. The rebound squirted out to Adam Gilmour on the near post for another chance. Gilmour's shot rested on the goal line and Silk banged it home for the 1-0 lead at 4:54 of the first period.

No. 9 Massachusetts-Lowell 4, No. 11 Clarkson 3

LOWELL, Mass. -- Senior center Joseph Pendenza's third-period goal gave the River Hawks a 4-3 come-from-behind victory against Clarkson on Saturday afternoon before a crowd of 4,649 at the Tsongas Center.

The goal completed a comeback from an early first-period 2-0 deficit.

With the win, UMass-Lowell improves to 14-5-1. The River Hawks, who play only Hockey East opponents the rest of the way, went 10-3-1 in non-conference games. Clarkson's record drops to 12-6-2.

Pendenza's goal, his third in four games since the winter break, came midway through the final period as he redirected a pass from senior forward Derek Arnold into the Clarkson cage.

A. J. Fossen and Matt Zarbo had built the visitors' lead with opportunistic goals off rebounds at the UMass-Lowell net. But a Scott Wilson wrist shot from the right wing eluded Golden Knights goaltender Steve Perry to cut the lead in half midway through the period. Junior forward Terrence Wallin picked up the only assist on the play.

The River Hawks tied the game in the second period. McGrath, who had two assists on the day's work, picked up the game-tying goal when, driving toward the net from the left wing, he drilled home the rebound of an Arnold shot. 

Four minutes later, UMass-Lowell grabbed its first lead of the game. Freshman forward Chris Maniccia banged home a loose puck turning a scramble in front of the Clarkson net. It was 3-2, but the lead lasted 1:39 as Sam Lebrecque tied the game.

No. 10 Yale 3, No. 20 Vermont 3

BURLINGTON, Vt. -- Three different players found the net and four others had assists as Yale skated to a 3-3 overtime tie at Vermont before a packed Gutterson Fieldhouse.

Alex Lyon stopped 32 shots but saw a six-on-five, odd-man rush shot fly into the net with 53 seconds left to send the game to overtime. Goals by Jesse Root, John Hayden and Kenny Agostino helped the Elis grab 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 leads before the extra session.

"It was a hard-fought point against a quality opponent on the road," Yale head coach Keith Allain said. "We did some things really well. Our forecheck was good and we created a lot of scoring transitions in transition."

A ferocious Bulldog forecheck and a blanketing defense enabled the visitors to dominate puck possession for the first half of the opening frame. Included in that one-sided play was Root's team-best, seventh goal of the season. He crashed the net after defenseman Ryan Obuchowski hit Mike Santaguida's pads with a shot from the point. Root won the race to the rebound and flicked it over the goalie's shoulder at 4:56.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners