In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | January 8, 2014

Pimm, Northeastern stun Prov. in OT

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Facing a 1-0 deficit in the final minute of regulation, Braden Pimm tied the game with 33.6 seconds left before ending it with another tally 12 seconds into overtime to lift No. 16 Northeastern (12-6-3, 5-4-1) past No. 6 Providence (13-4-4, 6-3-1) on Tuesday night at Schneider Arena, 2-1.

Pimm's game-winning goal came in the opening minute of overtime when he received an entry pass into the attacking zone from Kevin Roy before burying a wrist shot over PC goaltender Jon Gillies' shoulder.

Clay Witt kept the Huskies in the game all night, making 38 saves, including 17 in the third period alone. His counterpart, Gillies, had 27 stops for the Friars while Ross Mauermann scored the team's lone goal.

Witt and the Husky defense faced a barrage of shots to open the game as the Friars outshot Northeastern 7-2 through the first seven minutes of the contest. PC went up 1-0 less than eight minutes into the game when Mauermann banged home a loose puck in the crease for his team-leading 14th goal of the year. Stefan Demopoulos began the play by sending a shot in on goal that Shane Luke got a stick on en route to the cage, and Mauermann cleaned up the mess to knock it past Witt. The play was reviewed for a potential high stick on Luke, but the goal stood.

Roy continued to be a factor at both ends of the rink in the final minutes of the period, first when he took a pass from Pimm in transition through the neutral zone for a scoring chance before he broke up a two-on-one bid with a stick check later in his shift.

Witt held down the fort for the Huskies in the third, stopping all 17 shots he faced to set up the game-tying tally late in regulation. One of Witt's bigger saves came when he denied Mingoia going post-to-post off a feed from Luke. Later in the frame, Witt made a game-saving stop on Saracino, taking away the bottom of the net to smother the puck as Saracino tried to go upstairs.

Northeastern pulled Witt in favor of the extra skater with 56.7 seconds left in the frame, and following an NU timeout, Pimm leveled the score at one when he took a pass from John Stevens, flew up ice and fired a shot on goal from inside the blue line that beat Gillies to make it 1-1 and force overtime.

Just 12 seconds into the extra session, Pimm came up big once again. After Manson forced a turnover in the neutral zone, Roy feathered a puck to Pimm entering the attacking zone. Pimm, who got behind the defense, went in on goal before roofing a shot over the shoulder of Gillies for the game winner.

No. 7 Quinnipiac 2, Harvard 2

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Quinnipiac played to a 2-2 tie against Harvard at the Bright Hockey Center on Tuesday night With the tie, Quinnipiac extends its undefeated streak to four games (2-0-2) while moving to 15-3-5 overall and 6-2-3 in ECAC Hockey play. Harvard goes to 5-7-3 overall and 2-6-3 in league action.

Quinnipiac held leads of 1-0 and 2-1 on goals by Kellen Jones and Matthew Peca. A Harvard goal with less than a minute to play in regulation forced overtime, where both teams played to the tie. Quinnipiac goalie Michael Garteig finished with 20 saves.

Peca's fifth goal of the season gave Quinnipiac a 2-1 lead with 17:20 left in the third period. Bryce Van Brabant tipped the puck to Connor Clifton just below the blue line in the Bobcats' end. Clifton spied Peca moving up ice and found his stick with a stretch pass through the neutral zone. Peca skated in on Girard's right before firing a shot off the opposite to give Quinnipiac a one-goal lead.

With 48.7 seconds remaining in regulation, Harvard's Alex Kerfoot cleaned up a rebound off a Kyle Criscuolo shot to tie the game at 2-2.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners