In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d3 flag | March 2, 2014

St. Scholastica sends Adrian out of NCHA title hunt

ADRIAN, Mich. -- Saint Scholastica won its first Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA) semifinal postseason game since 2007, defeating Adrian 4-3 on Saturday night behind two goals from Alex Valenti, including the eventual game winner.

The game started out with Adrian striking first when Kevin Balas shot the puck past Saints goalie Tyler Bruggeman with assists by Austin Hervey and Jake Flegel making the score 1-0 Bulldogs just 5:35 into the game.

The Saints would answer back later in the period as, with 6:50 left in the period Valenti would score his first goal on an assist by Paul Marcoux tying the game at 1-1.

Adrian answered with just 1:14 left in the period when Adam Davies scored off of a pass from Brett Pinkerton putting the Bulldogs up 2-1 heading into the first intermission.

The second period was a back-and-forth effort that included five total power plays, two of which came at the end of the period for the Saints. It is there that the Saints seized the opportunity. Brandon Nowakowski scored on the first power play, tying the game at 2-2 on an assist by brother Dylan Nowakowski. Then Dylan would be rewarded scoring with just one second left in the period to put the Saints ahead 3-2 with just 20 minutes to play in the game.

The third period saw a flurry of scoring early on. Adrian would score just 1:36 into the period, followed by Valenti's second goal just 1:29 later putting the score at 4-3 Saints. Adrian would also have a goal waved off in the first four minutes of the period.

No. 1 St. Norbert 6, Lake Forest 0

DE PERE, Wis. -- St. Norbert got a five-point game from Cullen Bradshaw and cruised to a 6-0 win against Lake Forest in a Northern Collegiate Hockey Association Harris Cup semifinal game at Cornerstone Community Center.

The Green Knights (24-3-1) will face Saint Scholastica next Saturday at the Cornerstone for the Harris Cup championship. Lake Forest's season ended 15-12-1.

Joe Perry scored St. Norbert's first two goals, giving him a team-high 19 on the season. Perry scored at the 4:15 mark of the first period with Bradshaw and Zach McDonald assisting. Perry then cashed in a power-play chance with Sam Higgins and Bradshaw assisting at 1:04 of the second period. The Green Knights pulled ahead 3-0 at 18:28 of the second period on Bradshaw's first goal of the night.

Erik Cooper, who also had two assists in the game, scored his 13th goal of the season with Bradshaw and Marian Fiala assisting just 40 seconds in to the third period. Bradshaw scored his 13th goals of the season with Cooper and Blake Thompson assisting at 9:26. Mason Baptista closed out the scoring with a power-playgoal at 16:47 with Reid Campbell and Noah Nelson assisting.

David Jacobson turned in a 14-save effort to record his seventh shutout of the season and the 17th of his career.

No. 9 Wisconsin-Eau Claire 1, No. 3 Wisconsin-Stevens Point 0
No. 9 Wisconsin-Eau Claire 2, No. 3 Wisconsin-Stevens Point 1

STEVENS POINT, Wis. -- Down by one game in the semifinals of the WIAC championship, Wisconsin-Eau Claire was able to win Game Two 1-0 agianst Wisconsin-Stevens Point on Saturday night to force a mini-game, and then won the mini-game 2-1 to advance to the final game of the WIAC championship.

The Blugolds got on the board first at 11:21 in the opening period when Joe Krause scored a short-handed goal unassisted. That was all the scoring the rest of the way and the Pointers narrowly outshot the Blugolds 29-28.

In the mini-game, Ross Andersen scored an even-strength goal unassisted at 3:42 to give the Blugolds a 1-0 lead. Just more than six minutes later, Patrick Moore scored on a power-play with assists from Charles Thauwald and David Donnellan.

The Pointers attempted a comeback and scored using an extra attacker with 43 seconds left in the mini-game to get back to within one. But the Blugolds were able to hold on for the win. Stevens Point outshot the Blugolds 9-7 in the extra session.

Jay Deo played in goal for the Blugolds, 59:52 in the semifinal game and 20 minutes in the mini-game. He finished with 37 saves, eight of them coming in the mini-game.

Oswego State 2, No. 4 Plattsburgh State 1

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. -- Third-seeded Oswego State knocked off Plattsburgh State 2-1 in the semifinals of the SUNYAC championship in Strafford Ice Arena on Saturday night. It is the second consecutive weekend that the Lakers took down their archrivals on the road and with this Saturday's win, Oswego has advanced to the SUNYAC championship game and will play No. 1-seed Geneseo State onSaturday.

Josh Timpano scored the game-winning goal at 10:15 of the final period as Andrew Barton wrapped around the goal and found his teammate in front of the crease. The duo has been lethal in this postseason, as Barton was the recipient of a Timpano pass in the first round 3-2 victory against Fredonia State.

Oswego and Plattsburgh played even first period, with neither team gaining an edge to head to the first intermission still knotted at 0-0. The Cardinals changed that in the second period, however, as Alex Jensen was able to notch his 13th goal of the year off pass from Kevin Emerling and Dillan Fox.

The Lakers would not back down after heading to the final break trailing 1-0, as Mike Montagna tallied the equalizer at 6:24 of the third period. After Plattsburgh was whistled for hooking on what looked to be a breakaway opportunity for Oswego, Montagna netted a goal off assists from David Titanic and Nick Rivait.

Matt Zawadzki stood tall in net for the Lakers, stopping all but one of the Cardinals attempts, totaling 31 saves on the night.

No. 5 St. Thomas (Minn.) 2, St. Olaf 1

MENDOTA HEIGHTS, Minn. -- Senior Tyler Gubb had a goal and an assist as top-seeded St. Thomas (Minn.) held off fourth-seed St. Olaf 2-1 in Saturday's MIAC semifinal game on UST's home ice.

Andrew Anderson put the Oles ahead 14:17 into the game, but Gubb had the tying goal three minutes later.

Junior Alex Altenbernd scored the go-ahead goal late in period two for the Tommies. Junior Drew Fielding stopped 21 of 22 shots and won his 19th game of the season.

The Tommies ran their home win streak to nine and hit 20 wins on the season. They advance to the playoff title game on March 8 -- the program's first finals trip in four seasons. They will face No. 2-seed Gustavus Adolphus, a 3-2 winner of St. John's (Minn.).

St. Thomas ranks first in Division III in goals allowed, now at 1.42 goals per game. UST improved to 11-3 in games decided by one or two goals.

No. 6 Norwich 4, Castleton State 3

NORTHFIELD, Vt. -- Norwich is headed to its fifth consecutive ECAC East tournament championship game following a thrilling 4-3 win against in-state rival Castleton State in Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) East semifinal action at Kreitzberg Arena on Saturday night.

The Cadets scored four unanswered goals to turn a 1-0 deficit into a 4-1 lead by the midway point of the second period. Norwich then withstood a furious Castleton comeback that saw the Spartans get to within one goal. However, Norwich senior goaltender Chris Czarnota came up huge in the final moments of the game, making a superb pad save on Castleton's Ryan Frost just seconds before the final horn to preserve the 4-3 victory.

Norwich (19-5-3) will meet Babson in the ECAC East finals for the second consecutive season and fourth time in the past five years. Babson beat Norwich 2-1 in last year's title game. The Cadets will be looking for the 11th ECAC East tournament crown.

Castleton (13-11-3) struck first just past the midway point of the first period when Brian Greene slapped home a stray puck in the high slot past Czarnota's blocker to put the Spartans up 1-0.

Norwich responded at the 14:26 mark as senior Chris Duszynski snapped a six-game scoreless streak with his team-leading 16th goal of the season on the power play to knot the game at 1-1.

Duszynski one-timed a feed from freshman forward Anthony Flaherty from behind the net past Castleton starting goalie Thomas Shelley. Senior forward Travis Janke also tallied an assist on the goal.

No. 7 Babson 4, Massachusetts-Boston 2

BABSON PARK, Mass. -- Senior Connor Berto scored the go-ahead goal at 5:17 of the third period and classmate Nik Tasiopoulos added an empty-net tally with 26 seconds remaining as second-seeded Babson rallied to defeat third-seeded Massachusetts-Boston 4-2 in an Eastern College Athletic Conference (ECAC) East semifinal on Saturday night at the Babson Skating Center.

With the victory, Babson moves to 21-4-2 overall and advances to the ECAC East championship game for the fifth time in the past six years, while UMass-Boston drops to 17-6-4.

Senior Pat Guerriero and sophomore Max Franklin also scored for the Beavers. Senior Matt Furey had a pair of assists, while seniors Shayne Anderson and Ryan Heavey, junior Andrew Bonazza and first-year Tim Searles all had one assist apiece.

Junior Stephen Buco and sophomore Peter MacIntyre both scored for the Beacons. Seniors Mark Grinhaus and Mike Kuhn both contributed an assist.

No. 8 Trinity (Conn.) 9, Wesleyan 1

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Sophomore forward Michael Hawkrigg had two goals and four assists and junior forward Jackson Brewer set one team assist record and broke another to lead Trinity (Conn.) to a 9-1 victory against the Wesleyan Cardinals in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) Men's Ice Hockey Championship quarterfinal action at Williams Rink in the Koeppel Community Sports Center. Top-seeded Trinity improves to 21-4, its highest win total since 2004-05, with its third win against the Cardinals in eight days and advances to the NESCAC semifinals for the 10th time and the second year in a row. Wesleyan sees its season end at 11-12-2.

Winners of the their past eight games, the Bantams will face Bowdoin or Connecticut College in the semifinals on Saturday depending on the outcome of tonight's Amherst/Connecticut College quarterfinal game.

Trinity scored early and often, opening up a 4-0 lead after one period and leading 7-0 at the second intermission. Bantam junior captain defenseman Michael Flynn scored the first of his two goals 5:45 into the game, and senior captain forward Will Gray followed with the game winner 14:37 into the opening stanza. Hawkrigg scored twice late in the first period, and junior forward Jackson Brewer tallied three of his college-record-tying six assists in the first 20 minutes.

No. 10 Geneseo State 2, Buffalo State 0

GENESEO, N.Y. -- Geneseo State senior forward Jonathan Sucese and first-year forward Stephen Collins tallied second-period goals to lead the Knights to a 2-0 victory over Buffalo State in the semifinals of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Men's Ice Hockey Tournament, Saturday.

The top-seeded Knights (21-5) will host third-seeded Oswego for the 2014 SUNYAC Championship next Saturday (March 8) at 7:00 p.m.  The winner will receive an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament.

Sucese put the Knights on the board 2:06 into the second period, skating from the right faceoff circle into the slot and zipping a hard shot past Bengals goalie Kevin Carr to put Geneseo up 1-0.

The Knights went up 2-0 less than three minutes later after junior forward Tyler Brickler won a faceoff in the Geneseo zone and fed junior forward Ryan Stanimir up the left side of the ice. Collins got the puck at the blue line and skated in on net where he slipped a shot past Carr on the near post for his 13th goal of the season.

The two goals proved to be all the Knights would need en route to the victory as sophomore goalie Nick Horrigan was credited with 29 saves to improve to 12-1 on the season with his first career shutout.