In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It

Don't miss it

icehockey-men-d1 flag | March 22, 2014

Colgate's 2OT win sends it to first title game since '90

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Tyson Spink scored on a rebound 58 seconds into the second overtime to send the Raiders to the ECAC Hockey Championship with a 3-2 win against No. 5 Quinnipiac.

Colgate (20-12-5) was down 2-1 with less than a minute in regulation and without an extra-attacker goal all season long, the outlook seemed grim.

Kyle Baun took care of that with a tough garbage goal in front of the net with 56 seconds left to tie the game 2-2. Tyson Spink then became the hero 58 seconds into the overtime to send Colgate to its first ECAC Hockey title game since 1990 with a 3-2 win.

Tyson Spink's goal helped the Raiders erase a two-goal deficit that was staring them in the face nearing the end of the second period. Baun took the initial shot that Martin Garteig pushed aside, but Tyson Spink was left all alone in the slot and he buried it for the game winner.

No. 2 Union (N.Y.) 5, No. 13 Cornell 2

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. -- Cole Ikkala, Kevin Sullivan,Max Novak, Mike Vecchione and Daniel Carr scored to lead top seed Union (N.Y.) to a 5-2 victory against fourth seed Cornell in the first ECAC Hockey semifinal game of the day at 1980 Rink in Herb Brooks Arena. The 27th win set a school record for victories in a season at Union.

The Dutchmen, now 27-6-4 and winners of seven in a row, are undefeated in the past 12 games at 11-0-1. The Big Red are 17-10-5 and await a possible NCAA playoff selection on Sunday. Union will look for a third consecutive Cleary Cup on Saturday when it faces either Colgate or Quinnipiac in the ECAC Hockey championship game. Union improved to 4-0-1 on Olympic-sized ice sheets this season and is now 15-0 against opponents from the Ivy League in 2013-14.

Union outshot Cornell 31-26. Colin Stevens made 24 saves and Andy Iles stopped 26 for the Big Red.

No. 4 Ferris State 5, Alaska-Anchorage 4

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -- An overtime goal from freshman forward Gerald Mayhew lifted Ferris State to an exciting 5-4 victory against Alaska-Anchorage and into the Western Collegiate Hockey Association Final Five championship game at Van Andel Arena.

Mayhew scored after a face-off win from near the top of the circle 2:38 into the extra stanza for his second goal of the game as the Bulldogs stormed the ice and a mostly all Bulldog crowd of 4,494 fans went into a frenzy.

The win lifts the WCHA regular-season champion Bulldogs into Saturday night's title contest at Van Andel Arena against Minnesota State-Mankato. The two teams will play for the Broadmoor Trophy and the league's automatic bid into the NCAA tournament with faceoff set for 7:07 p.m. ET.

No. 6 Wisconsin 2, Penn State 1

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Wisconsin ended upstart Penn State’s Cinderella hopes and advanced to the Big Ten Championship game with a 2-1 victory.

Penn State (8-26-2) reached the tournament semifinals with a thrilling upset of third-seeded Michigan, and looked poised to threaten the second-seeded Badgers (23-10-2) when Curtis Loik took a cross-ice feed from Kenny Brooks  and finished the two-on-one past UW goalie Joel Rumpel to put the Nittany Lions up 1-0 just 55 seconds into the second period.

But Michael Mersch and the Badgers provided a swift and powerful counter, netting a pair of goals to secure a lead they would never relinquish.

No. 7 Massachusetts-Lowell 4, No. 10 Notre Dame 0

BOSTON, Mass.-- Bolstered by an early lead and a pair of second period power-play goals, sophomore goaltender Connor Hellebuyck stopped all 35 shots to backstop second-seeded Massachusetts-Lowell to a 4-0 win against eight-seeded Notre Dame in the opening semifinal of the 30th annual Hockey East Championship on Friday night at TD Garden.

Blueliners Christian Folin and Zack Kamrass each had a goal and an assist to return the defending champion River Hawks (24-10-4) to their fifth appearance in the title game and second consecutive. They will face the winner of the second semifinal between No. 3 seed Providence and No. 4 seed New Hampshire on Saturday.

The William Flynn Tournament most outstanding player last season and a first-team Hockey East All-Star this year, Hellebuyck recorded his fifth shutout of the season and 11th of his career, including a 1-0 blanking of Boston University in the 2013 Hockey East championship game, also at TD Garden. Just a sophomore, he became his school's career shutout leader, passing Carter Hutton ('10) who had 10.

The Fighting Irish (23-13-2) came into the game with the fewest goals allowed in conference games during the regular season and knocked off top-seeded Boston College, two games to one, in last weekend's quarterfinal round. The series win against the top-ranked Eagles pushed ND's record to 8-1-1 in its past 10 games but it ran into a red-hot goaltender in Hellebucyk and an opportunistic attack. The River Hawks were outshot 35-22 in the contest but went 2-for-2 on the power play while killing two bids by Notre Dame.

No. 18 New Hampshire 3, No. 9 Providence 1

BOSTON -- New Hampshire skated to a 3-1 victory against Providence on Friday night at the TD Garden. The win propels the team to the Hockey East finals for the first time since time since 2007.

After a scoreless first period, Goumas put the Wildcats up by a score of 1-0 at the 7:05 mark of the second frame with an unassisted short-handed goal. Goumas collected the loose puck in the neutral zone and blazed down the right side of the ice. He came in behind the net and backhanded the shot over the pad of PC goalie Jon Gillies to complete the wraparound attempt.

Agosta gave UNH a 2-0 advantage at 13:31 of the second period as he flung a wrist shot from just inside the blueline on goal. The puck took a deflection off two Providence skaters and found its way into the back of the net.  Maxim Gaudreault flung the puck to Matt Willows just inside the blueline. Willows sent the puck across the ice to an awaiting Agosta who in turn fond the back of the net.

With under one second remaining in the second period, Goumas recorded his second goal of the game and fifth in the past two games to give UNH a 3-0 lead. Willows started the rush for the Wildcats and passed the puck on to Goumas. Goumas found Sorkin parallel to him and passed the puck to him. Sorkin's initial shot missed the target, but he gathered his own rebound and passed it to Goumas right in front of the net. Goumas jammed the puck past Gillies and over the line.

After two periods of play, UNH held a 3-0 lead. Netminder Casey DeSmith had made saves on each of the 14 shots he faced. UNH's penalty kill unit allowed just one shot on a power play, thwarting all other attacks.


Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners