Jan. 17, 2009


Courtesy of Brown

Potsdam, N.Y. - Brown dropped another tight ECAC Hockey game on Saturday afternoon, falling 2-1 against the Clarkson Golden Knights.  Sophomore Jenna Dancewicz (Lake Forest, IL) scored her third goal of the season to give the Bears a temporary lead in the second period, but Brown was unable to rally in the third to pull out the win.

Senior goalie Nicole Stock (Buffalo Grove, IL) played an impressive game as well, compiling 30 saves, including 16 in the final period to keep the Bears in the game.  With the loss, Brown drops to 3-14-1 overall, and 2-9-0 in ECAC Hockey, while Clarkson improves to 12-6-4 on the season, and 6-2-2 in league play.

The first period was a quiet one for both squads, as only 11 combined shots were taken in the first twenty minutes, and both goalies looked strong in the early going.  Brown also had some good fortune in keeping the game scoreless, as a Clarkson shot dinged off the pipe early in the period, maintaining the tie through the frame.

For the first eight minutes, the second period was reminiscent of the opener, as defense prevailed again in the early going.  However, an interference call on the Golden Knights gave Brown the opening it needed, and Dancewicz scored her third goal of the season shortly after going on the power play.  Classmate Maggie Suprey (South Boston, MA) and freshman Paige Pyett (Milestone, SK) were credited with assists on the play, the second consecutive game with an assist for Suprey.

Brown had a chance to permanently grab the momentum moments later on a breakaway attempt, but the Bears couldn't keep control of the puck, and Clarkson was able to clear it safely.  The Golden Knights had an opportunity of their own later in the period, however, as Clarkson caught Brown on a line change, and had an open look on goal, but Stock was able to knock the puck away on a kick save.

Shortly after the missed chance, however, Clarkson was finally able to answer, scoring a power play goal to tie the game at one apiece.  Playing with the man advantage, the Golden Knights were able to utilize solid puck movement to get past Stock and once again tie the game heading into the locker rooms.

Due to a hooking call just before the conclusion of the second period, Clarkson entered the final frame on the power play once again.  Though the Bears were able to kill off the penalty, Clarkson was able to take advantage of the defensive reset as the fifth man came back on for Brown, and sophomore Melissa Waldie barely caught the edge of the net on a shot over Stock's shoulder for a 2-1 Clarkson lead.

Though the game got increasingly chippy as the clock ran down, including offsetting roughing calls near the halfway point, neither team was able to find the net again, and Brown left the North Country with its second one-goal loss of the weekend.

The Bears will be back in action on Friday, January 23, when they return to Meehan Auditorium to host the Colgate Raiders at 7 p.m.