Middlebury 15 , Endicott 12

May 14, 2005

Middlebury scored the games last three goals to break a 12-12 tie to earn a 15-12 win over Endicott in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. In a game that was closer than many expected, the Power Gulls hung tough, never trailing throughout the first half. Middlebury ended the game with a 65-21 shots advantage, won 23 of 31 face-offs, while holding a 60-36 lead in ground balls. The Panthers will host Wesleyan, a 10-7 winner over Springfield, in an NCAA Quarterfinal game on Wednesday, May 18th at 4:00 p.m. Endicott came out strong, taking a 3-1 lead after a goal from Parker Sowles at the 6:27 mark. Jonathan Sisto answered for Middlebury late in the first quarter to cut the lead to 3-2 after one quarter of play.

Jeff Pello tied the game for Middlebury early in the second quarter, before the teams each went on two-goal runs to make it a 5-5 game at the halftime break.

Middlebury opened the third quarter on a tear, scoring three goals in 4:22. J.P. Coviello started the run as he scored on a rebound after his first shot bounced off the post and came right back. Nick Bastis scored the second as his initial shot was saved before trickling across the goal line. Dave Leach ended the three-goal run as he scored driving in from the right side. Burt Fahy scored a man-up goal for Endicott at 9:29 with a nice fake high before scoring with a low shot. Aaron Herter gave Middlebury a 9-6 lead as he scored from the outside with a nice crossing pass from Jamie Duke. Elliot Diesenhaus answered for the Gulls as he scooped up a groundball and fired a low shot into the net. Coviello scored the final goal of the quarter at the 3:04 mark to give Middlebury a 10-7 lead after three quarters.

Mark Foster gave the Panthers a little breathing room with a man-up goal early in the fourth quarter to make it an 11-7 game. The breathing room disappeared quickly as Endicott went on a 4-0 run to tie the game at 11. Dan Ryan backed in for the first goal, Fahy circled the net to score, while Sam Chidester scored the next two, including a great over-the-shoulder shot to tie the game with 6:47 remaining. Coviello answered for Middlebury just 17 seconds later, before Chidester scored eight second later, picking up the ground ball on the face-off before driving to the goal. That would be the Gulls final goal, as Middlebury closed the game on a 3-0 run. Herter scored with an outside shot at 5:43, before Henry Sheehan found Leach with a nice pass from behind the net. Nick Bastis scored the games final goal with another assist from Sheehan to make it a 15-12 final.

Foster, Bastis and Coviello led Middlebury with three goals apiece in the game, while Herter and Leach each netted two. Sheehan dished out four assists in the win, while Peter Mellen won 23 of 31 face-offs. Alex Palmisano made five saves in goal for the win.

Chidester paced Endicott with four goals, Fahy added three, while Sowles netted two. Ryan Walsh made 17 saves in net.

TEAM 1 2 3 4 OT F
Endicott (15-4) 3 2 2 5 - 12
Middlebury (15-1) 2 3 5 5 - 15

Middlebury Scoring: Henry Sheehan 0-4, Nick Bastis 3-0, J.P. Coviello 3-0, Mark Foster 3-0, Dave Leach 2-0, Aaron Herter 2-0, Jonathan Sisto 1-1, Jamie Duke 0-2, Jeff Pello 1-0, Chip Campbell 0-1.

Endicott Scoring: Sam Chidester 4-0, Burt Fahy 3-1, Kevin Lally 1-2, Parker Sowles 2-0, Dan Ryan 1-0, Elliot Diesenhaus 1-0.

Shots: Midd. 65, Endicott 21
Man-Up: Midd. 1/6, Endicott 1/3
Face-offs: Midd. 23, Endicott 8

M-Alex Palmisano (60 min., 5 saves, 12 GA)
E-Ryan Walsh (60 min., 17 saves, 15 GA)

-- Courtesy Middlebury