Feb. 28, 2009

Courtesy of Georgetown

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Fifth-ranked Georgetown raced back from a four-goal halftime deficit and pulled to within two goals late in the fourth quarter, but St. John's Garrett Mitchell scored with 2:16 left in the game, giving the Red Storm an upset 10-9 win over the Hoyas at DaSilva Memorial Field Saturday afternoon.

The loss drops Georgetown's record to 1-1 overall and 0-1 in the ECAC, while St. John's improves to 3-0 overall and 1-0 in the ECAC.

The Red Storm had taken a 7-3 lead at halftime and trailed 8-4 after three quarters, but narrowed the gap after scoring two times in the first five minutes of the final frame. Junior Andrew Brancaccio (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) started things, with an assist from junior Craig Dowd (East Northport, N.Y./Northport), at 13:08, making it 8-5. Junior Rickey Mirabito (Binghamton, N.Y./Chenango Forks) scored an unassisted goal at 10:17, narrowing the gap to 8-6.

A goal from SJU's Harry Kutner made it 9-6 with 8:36 to play, and the Red Storm won the ensuing face-off and was able to keep the Hoyas in check over the next five minutes.

Georgetown scored an extra-man goal with 3:38 to play when Mirabito tallied an unassisted marker, his second of the game, to make it 9-7. The Hoyas won the next face-off, but a turnover gave the ball back to St. John's. After a shot went wide with 2:44 to play, Mitchell scored with 2:16 left to give the Red Storm a 10-7 lead.

The Hoyas raced back, scoring twice in the final minute to pull within one goal, 10-9. The first goal came from Mirabito on an assist from junior Scott Kocis (Huntington, N.Y./Huntington) with 1:49 to play, making it 10-8. Senior defender Stevie Bauer (Red Bank, N.J./Peddie School) forced a turnover with a minute to play and Kocis scored with 31 seconds to play to pull Georgetown within one goal, 10-9.

St. John's face-off specialist Dom DeNapoli won the next face-off and St. John's held on for the win.

St. John's jumped on top early in the game, taking a 4-0 lead with Drew Schanen scoring two goals and the Red Storm picking up two man-up goals. The Hoyas, however, scored three-straight goals in the second quarter and pulled to within 4-3 when Dowd scored off an assist from senior co-captain Jake Samperton (Bethesda, Md./Landon). The Red Storm, however, responded with three-straight goals as Malcolm Miles recorded on assists to two from Terrence Leach and one from Tom Michaelsen.

Mirabito scored a career-high five goals to lead Georgetown, while Kocis added two goals and an assist and Dowd finished with one goal and two assists. Georgetown took 32 shots, picked up 27 ground balls and won 10-of-22 face-off attempts. The Red Storm took 42 shots and had 32 ground balls.

Georgetown plays its first home game of the season next Saturday, March 7, hosting defending national champion Syracuse. Face-off at the Multi-Sport Field is slated for noon.