May 9, 2009

Baltimore, Maryland - Brown and Johns battled toe-to-toe for the first 60 minutes, but the Blue Jays' Brian Christopher scored 36 seconds into overtime to lead Hopkins to a 12-11 win over Brown in the first round of the NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship at storied Homewood Field.

Bears' senior Kyle Hollingsworth sent the game into overtime by scooping a loose ball into the Blue Jays' net with 8 seconds remaining in regulation to knot the score at 11-11.

Brown finishes the season with a 12-4 overall mark, while Hopkins advances to the second round against the Virginia/Villanove winner next Sunday, with a 10-4 mark.

Brown was making their first appearances in the NCAA Tournament since 1997 and 12th in school history. The Bears were matched-up against Johns Hopkins making its 38th straight NCAA Tournament appearance.

"I didn't prepare for a consolation speech because I thought we'd win the game," said Bears head coach Lars Tiffany. "I absolutely love this team. These men take it to the next level and I'm so proud of each and every one of them. We've been resilient and persevered all season and we've battled hard on the field all season."

The fourth quarter was played at a frenetic pace on a hot, muggy day after the two teams were all even, 7-7, heading into the fourth quarter. Hopkins scored three quick goals to grab a 10-7 advantage just 4:50 into the quarter.

Sophomore Andrew Feinberg scored his 42nd goal of the season with 9:40 remaining to get the Bears back in the game, 10-8. Hopkins answered to go back up by three goals,11-8 with 7:24 left in the contest.

The Bears didn't just show up at the NCAA Tournament, they competed. Muldoon scored consecutive goals for the Bears, the second with 2:46 remaining, to pull the Bears back to within one goal, 11-10.

The Bears got off to a slow start, falling behind 3-0 before junior Thomas Muldoon scored with 3:12 left in the first quarter to make it 3-1. Senior Brady Williams scored fan man-up goal on a pass from junior Reade Seligmann with 2:10 remaining to pull the Bears to within 3-2 after one quarter.

Brown tied it up, 3-3 on an unsettled situation when freshman Rob Schlesinger took a pass from junior Jake Hardy early in the second quarter.

Hopkins jumped out to a 5-3 lead before the Bears answered to make it 5-4 with a goal by Feinberg from Hollingsworth 4:55 into the quarter. The Blue Jays' Kyle Wharton scored with 7:57 remaining to give Hopkins a 6-4 lead at the half.

Hollingsworth got the Bears on the scoreboard first, picking up a loose ball just 48 seconds in\o the half, but Hopkins scored a minute later to go back up by two goals, 7-5.

Muldoon scored on a virtuoso performance at 9:57, and junior Collins Carey scored for the Bears to tie the game once again, 7-7, heading into the fourth quarter.

Brown's All-American goalie Jordan Burke, the first player in Ivy League history to be named the Ivy League Player of the Year in consecutive seasons, registered 10 saves in net for the Bears. His counterpart, Mike Gvozden made 11 saves.

Muldoon led the Bears with four goals, while Feinberg added two goals. Muldoon's 89 career goals are 12th best in Brown lacrosse history.