May 9, 2009

STEVENSON, Md. - No. 1 Stevenson University edged the No. 15 Cabrini men's lacrosse team, 8-7, in the second round of the NCAA Tournament Saturday at the Caves Athletics Complex. Senior attackman Scott Reimer and sophomore midfielder Paul Skulski each scored two goals for the Cavaliers.

Junior attackman Casey Grugan tallied one point on one goal. Grugan's marker with six seconds remaining in the third quarter tied the contest, 6-6, and extended his consecutive goals streak to 54 games, matching a 32-year old Division III record set by Washington College's John Cheek in 1977.

Grugan also extended the nation's second-longest consecutive points streak to 57 games. He has recorded at least one point in each game of his Cabrini career.

Grugan wraps up his junior season as the program's single-season leader in points (96) and assists (44). He is second all-time in points (237), goals (140) and assists (96).

Reimer's two goals equals and eclipses the Blue & White's single-season standard he established in 2008, finishing the year with 69 scores. He completes his Cabrini career with a program-record 256 points and 232 goals.

Senior midfielder B.J. Kletcheck and sophomore midfielder Dan Terenick also tallied one goal for the Cavaliers in the loss.

Senior goalkeeper Kevin Chenoweth was brilliant throughout all 60 minutes. Chenoweth tallied 19 saves in the contest, including several critical stops in front and against open looks from the Mustangs' offense.

Senior defensemen Joe Monroe and Jeff Moore each recorded six groundballs. Moore, Cabrini's all-time leader in groundballs, finishes his career with 216.

Senior Mike Dolente led Cabrini in the face-off circle, winning seven draws. He is also the program's all-time leader in face-off victories, tallying 331.

The Mustangs held a two-goal lead, 5-3, at the conclusion of a tightly played first half. Stevenson added two late tallies in the final 45 seconds of the second quarter. The first came on a man-up opportunity before Steve Kazimer beat Chenoweth at even strength with 18 seconds left.

Cabrini jumped out to a two-goal advantage mid-way through the first period. Skulski got the Cavaliers on the scoreboard first with an unassisted marker at the 8:44 mark. Reimer pushed the Blue & White lead to 2-0 with a goal in front off a rebound.

Stevenson answered with two goals to end the opening 15 minutes. Nick Bevacqua found the back of the cage down the left alley at the 4:28 mark. Greg Furshman knotted the scoring at two goals off a feed from Brett Yoder with 17 ticks left in the first quarter.

Cabrini opened the third quarter with two quick goals from Skulski and Reimer, evening the scoring, 5-5, at the 12:42 mark. Stevenson's Brett Yoder answered just 20 seconds following, regaining a 6-5 edge.

Grugan's tally tied the contest with six seconds remaining in the third period and set the stage for the final stanza.

Each team played scoreless through the first six minutes of the final quarter before the Mustangs grabbed a two-goal lead, 8-6, with 7:24 on the clock. Kletcheck pulled Cabrini within one, 7-6, at the 2:25 mark.

The Cavaliers had two offensive possessions in the final two minutes. However, the Stevenson defense held tight to preserve the one-goal victory.

Bevacqua and Kazimer each scored two goals for the Mustangs. Goalkeeper Geoff Hebert totaled 15 saves.

Stevenson advances to the quarterfinal round of the NCAA Tournament and will host Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) rival Salisbury University Wednesday, May 13.

Cabrini finishes the season with a 15-4 overall record.