April 17, 2010

Courtesy of Navy

BALTIMORE, Md.--Army's Jeremy Boltus scored three goals and assisted on another to lead Army (6-5, 4-0 in the Patriot League) to a 7-6 victory over Navy (5-7, 4-2 in the Patriot League) Saturday afternoon at M&T Bank Stadium. With the win, Army guaranteed itself at least a share of the Patriot League regular-season title and will play for the outright title Tuesday night at Lafayette. The winner of that game will host the Patriot League Tournament April 30 and May 2.

"I want to congratulate Army, I thought they played a very good game and fought hard," said Navy head coach Richie Meade. "We fought hard also, but we didn't pick a very good game to not put our shots on goal. I thought the lack of shot accuracy hurt us."

It appeared Navy had tied the game at seven with 37 seconds left when Nikk Davis scored on a dodge from the left wing. Davis was clearly shoved into the crease by Army's Matt Hurley, but the officials mysteriously waved the goal off calling Davis in the crease however Army was flagged for a push. No explanation was ever given to Navy on why the goal was not allowed.

"I thought Nikk made a great play and took the extra step," said Meade. "It may be the only time in the history of lacrosse that a guy goes underneath, scores and it doesn't count. Once I saw the flag and the ball go in the goal I thought it was good, usually when you see that flag it's a goal because he's pushed in the crease. I asked for an explanation and was told we were a man-up and the goal did not count."

Navy jumped out to a 2-1 first quarter lead on goals by Kyle Kapron (assisted by Andy Warner) and Davis, but Army bounced back to take a 5-3 lead at the half outscoring the Mids 4-1 in the second stanza.

Navy's Kevin Doyle cut Army's lead to 5-4 with 11:21 left in the third, but then the Navy offense went silent going 19:44 without a goal.

The Mids trailed 6-4 midway through the fourth period when Joe Lennon broke Navy's scoring drought with 6:37 left in the contest with an unassisted goal. Davis scored his second goal of the game 62 seconds later to tie the game at six.

Army, however, won the ensuing faceoff and 66 seconds later Boltus scored his third goal of the game off an assist from Conor Hayes to give Army the lead for the final time, 7-6.

Navy outshot Army, 38-27, won the ground ball battle, 28-27, won 10 of 16 faceoffs and committed just 15 turnovers to Army's 17. The Mids struggled on extra-man opportunities, converting just one of five.

The Mids will be back in action next Saturday at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium when they play host to Johns Hopkins. Faceoff is 12 noon.