COLLEGE PARK, Md. — In a battle of two top-10 teams, No. 6 North Carolina got seven goals and seven assists from its freshmen and Steven Rastivo made a career-high 13 saves to power the Tar Heels to a 11-6 come-from-behind victory against fifth-ranked Maryland at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. The victory was the first for the Tar Heels in College Park since 2003 and only the second at Maryland since 1993.

The Tar Heels improved to 7-2 (1-1 in the ACC) before a crowd of 3,176 and a national television audience, while Maryland saw its four-game winning streak end, falling to 6-2 overall and 0-2 in the ACC.

UNC’s "kiddie corps" led the way offensively with seven of 11 goals and seven of eight assists. Freshman Nicky Galasso paced the offense with a career-high six points on two goals and four assists, also a career-high. Pat Foster, a freshman attackman making his first career start, had three goals and an assist. Jimmy Dunster (a junior) scored twice, bringing his goal total to six in the past two games and freshman Duncan Hutchins had a goal and two assists. Sophomore Marcus Holman had a goal and an assist. Junior long-stick midfielder Mark Staines and freshman Ryan Creighton also scored goals for Carolina.

The Tar Heels fell behind 4-0 in the first 9:10 of the game as four of Maryland’s first five shots on goal got by Rastivo. From that point on it was all Tar Heels, outscoring the Terps 11-2. Rastivo made 13 saves on the last 15 shots on goal against him, allowing only a single goal in the third and fourth quarters and pitching a shutout in the second quarter. UNC played relentless defense, causing 16 Maryland turnovers with senior Ryan Flanagan forcing three and junior Mark Staines causing two.

The win was the third for the Tar Heels in their last four games against Maryland and broke a four-game losing streak in College Park for UNC. The last win in College Park was on March 22, 2003 when UNC upset the No. 2 Terps, 10-6. It was only the second win for Carolina in College Park since the Heels swept the Terps in 1993 in the regular season and ACC Tournament matches. Since then, UNC had lost eight of nine in College Park prior to Saturday.

Grant Catalino's hat trick for the Terrapins accounted for half of Maryland’s goals. Owen Blye, Joe Cummings and Landon Carr each scored one goal for the Terps.

Maryland had the statistical edge, but those margins were deceiving given the final score. The Terps outshot the Tar Heels 33-26, a figure even more misleading given the fact that UNC outshot Maryland 10-1 in the second quarter when the Heels outscored the Terps 5-0. The Terps took 16 shots to UNC’s four in the fourth quarter as they attempted to rally, yet the Heels outscored them in the final frame 2-1. Rastivo was the difference as he made seven of his 13 saves in the fourth quarter to blunt any thoughts of a Terrapin comeback.

Maryland also led in ground balls 27-20 and won 15 of 20 face-offs. However, the Tar Heels got two extra-man goals, limited their turnovers to 11, had only one failed clear and played superior team defense to pull off the road win.

It did not look like those stats would be relevant in the opening minutes of the game when the Terps ran off four goals in a little over nine minutes. Maryland opened the scoring with 13:23 left in the first half on a goal by Blye. Blye got open on the crease and scored from behind on a pass by Ryan Young. The Terrapins would score their next three goals in a span of 1:39

The Terps increased the lead to 2-0 at 7:29 on an unassisted goal by Carr after a successful clear by Maryland. Catalino then scored on a 15-yard shot with 6:01 left in the first quarter to make it 3-0. Drew Snider assisted on the play. Just 11 seconds later, the Terps stretched the lead to 4-0 when Catalino scored again right off a face-off win with an assist from Blye. That goal led to a timeout for North Carolina.

The Tar Heels got on the board with 3:34 to play in the first quarter as Foster scored when he rolled the crease from behind on the left side. The Terps would go into the second period leading 4-1 before UNC got rolling.

North Carolina played its best 15 minutes of the season in the second quarter. Carolina pulled within 4-2 on a man-up goal by Galasso, assisted by Hutchins, with 13:42 left in the second quarter. The Tar Heels then pulled within a single goal with 11:38 left in the second quarter as Holman scored from 12 yards out on the left side with an assist from Foster. North Carolina then got the equalizer on the extra-man as Foster scored his second goal of the game, assisted by Hutchins with 7:02 left in the first half.

UNC took the lead 5-4 on a goal by Hutchins with 4:37 left in the first half. Galasso drew the defense to the left side of the crease and fed Hutchins over the top of the cage for a bounce shot putaway. The Tar Heels added to their lead on a fast restart after a loose ball push at midfield against the Terps. Creighton was completely behind the Terps’ defense and took a long pass from Galasso from near midfield to score one-on-one with the goalie at 3:09.

North Carolina made it 7-4 with 11:28 left in the third quarter as Galasso scored off an assist by Holman. Holman found Galasso alone in front of the net, and he deked the Maryland goalkeeper for the easy putaway. Eight seconds later, after R.G. Keenan’s face-off win, Staines scored on a feed in front from Galasso, his fifth point of the match. Maryland stopped North Carolina’s eight-goal run with 9:44 left in the third quarter on an unassisted goal by Cummings. It was Maryland’s first goal in 25:56 of the match.

The Heels restored a four-goal lead with 7:52 remaining in the third on Dunster’s blistering 15-yard goal that went inside the upper right corner of the pipe. UNC outscored the Terrapins 3-1 in the period to take a 9-5 lead into the final 15 mintes.

North Carolina scored with 11:07 to go in the fourth as Foster redirected Galasso's pass from behind the goal into the twine for his third goal of the match. The Terps pulled with 10-6 on a goal by Catalino, assisted by John Haus, with 5:25 to play in the fourth quarter. The Tar Heels last goal with 2:02 to play, an unassisted goal by Dunster, resulted in the game's final score.