PROVIDENCE, R.I. – It was a rainy, muddy, cold day in Providence, but the No. 3 Cornell men’s lacrosse team shined, putting on a dominating performance to defeat Brown, 18-5, this afternoon at Stevenson Field. With the victory, the Big Red improved to 10-2 on the season (5-0 Ivy) to earn the 16th outright Ivy League title in program history. Brown falls to 5-8 overall and 1-4 in the conference.

“I’m very excited right now for our guys and our staff,” said head coach Ben DeLuca. “I’m proud of how we came out and competed and how our seniors led our team. We’ll enjoy this for a little bit, but we have bigger goals for this season and we’ll need to get right back to work.” 

Rob Pannell finished the day with seven points on five assists and two goals, as 11 different players found their way into the boxscore and every single healthy member of the Big Red got onto the field. David Lau tallied two goals and two assists and both Steve Mock and Roy Lang finished with three goals on the day. Midfielders Jack Dudley and JJ Gilbane each scored twice and Chris Langton rounded out the multipoint scorers with one goal and one assist. 

In goal, AJ Fiore was great, making seven saves and allowing four goals in 45:00, before Andrew West came on in relief and finished with one save and gave up just one goal. Fiore and West were helped by the solid defense of Max Feely, Thomas Keith, Mike Bronzino and Jason Noble. Feely and Keith had three and two caused turnovers, respectively, while Bronzino forced one. 

Brown, which was plagued by 27 turnovers, was kept in the game thanks to many brilliant saves from Matt Chriss, but the senior netmider still finished the contest with just nine stops and allowed 16 goals in 50:43. Will Round closed the contest for the Bears and allowed two goals while making just one save.

Rob Schlesinger scored twice and Parker Brown had two assists for the home team, while Andrew Feinberg, George Sherman and Jeffrey Foote each scored once. 

Despite the poor offensive showing, the Bears held the edge in ground balls (26-24) and face-offs (17-of-27). They also converted 1-of-4 man-up chances while limited Cornell to a 2-of-7 performance. 

Cornell, which outshot Brown 51-25, dominated time of possession in the contest and used a 5-1 run to open the game, eventually taking an 8-2 lead into the intermission. But the Big Red wasn’t done and outscored the Bears 7-2 in the third quarter to make it a 15-4 contest. With both sides subbing liberally, Cornell held the 3-1 scoring edge in the fourth quarter as well to account for the 18-5 victory.

Fiore made a great save in the opening moments of the game, but a Cornell push negated a second stop and gave the Bears a man-up opportunity. An errant shot was backed up by the Big Red and moments later, the visitors earned a man-up chance of its own. Cornell couldn’t convert either and the teams continued to battle back and forth before Lang swept left and beat Chriss over his right hip to finally get the Big Red on the board at the 8:46 mark. 

It took nearly three minutes for Cornell to score again, but the offense came fast and furious in the final six minutes of the quarter. 

First, Pannell found Dudley on the crease and just over 40 seconds later, Lau picked up a loose ball and scored in transition off an unsettled situation to make it a 3-0 came. 

Brown won the restart and moments later, Feinberg finally got the home team on the board when he scored from point-blank range.

Back-to-back goals from Mock and Dudley, both off passes from Pannell, put Cornell up, 5-1, at the end of the first quarter. 

Penalties plagued the opening moments of the second quarter and Brown wasted little time scoring a man-up goal just 37 seconds in when David Hawley fed Schlesinger to make it a 5-2 contest. 

The Cornell offense was stalled by several great saves from Chriss, as well as two hit pipes, but the Big Red closed the quarter with three unanswered goals to push the lead to 8-2 at the half. The run began when Chris Langton took a pass from Lau and ripped a high-hard shot that bounced off Chriss’ shoulder and into the net. With less than two minutes to play, Pannell hit Lang, who was cutting to the crease and bounced a shot into the net. The final goal of the quarter was a near carbon copy, with hometown boy JJ Gilbane scoring off a pass from Lau, igniting his large contingent of friends and family in the stands.

After closing the second quarter with three goals, the Big Red opened the third quarter with four-straight, capping a 7-0 scoring run at the 6:14 mark. Three of those four goals came on great individual efforts with Lang and two goals by Pannell all coming on hard outside shots, while Lau tallied a man-up goal from on the crease. 

A 5-on-5 goal by Schlesinger ended the run, but Gilbane answered almost immediately and back-to-back goals from Mock pushed the Cornell lead to 15-3 with 1:14 remaining in the quarter. The Bears managed to end the quarter with a goal by Foote and put another on the board at the start of the fourth quarter off a goal from Sherman but Cornell closed the game with three consecutive goals by Scott Austin, Cody Bremner and Jesse Gamble.