DURHAM, N.C. -- Senior Grant Catalino's behind-the-back shot capped a 5-0 fourth-quarter scoring run to give the No. 6 University of Maryland men's lacrosse team a thrilling 7-6 victory against No. 10 North Carolina in the semifinals of the ACC tournament Friday evening at Koskinen Stadium.

The victory lifts the Terps to 9-3 on the season, while Carolina falls to 9-5.

After North Carolina opened up a 2-0 lead on goals by Pat Foster and Ryan Creighton in the first five minutes of the game, Maryland got on the board with 7:07 left in the first. Junior Drew Snider took a free from senior Travis Reed in the right alley and ripped a shot over the left shoulder of UNC goalie Steve Rastivo to make it a 2-1 game.

The Tar Heels opened up a 3-1 lead early in the second when Chris Hunt dodged down the middle and took a low shot. Maryland reshirt freshman goalie Niko Amato got a piece of the ball, but it trickled over the goal line for the score.

UNC drew first blood in the third quarter on another shot, this one by Wood, that trickled in past Amato for a 5-1 Carolina lead with 7:38 to go in the quarter.

But the Terps were quick to respond as sophomore John Haus fed junior Jake Bernhardt in the right alley and Bernhardt's bouncer from 10 yards out found the back of the Carolina goal at the 6:33 mark.

A scrum in front of the Maryland goal with just over two minutes remaining in the third ended with Matt Davie finishing a feed from Creighton to give Carolina a 6-2 lead heading into fourth.

But the fourth quarter belonged to the Terps and the epic comeback began with Haus scoring on some high heat from the right wing to cut the Tar Heel lead to 6-3 at 12:25.

Exactly one minute later Snider scored his second of the game, finishing a slick feed from senior Ryan Young, making it a two-goal game.

From there sophomore Owen Blye took things over, scoring back-to-back goals to tie the game with 5:08 left.

Blye's first goal came thanks to a great dodge by junior Joe Cummings down the right side of the box. Blye snuck in behind Cummings' dodge and Cummings found him in the right slot and Blye ripped a high shot.

The game-tying goal was all Blye, as he took the ball from behind the cage and dodged around the left side. Once he was a step beyond goal line extended he quickly turned and fired a shot inside the upper right corner.

The 5-0 Terrapin run was complete with Catalino's amazing game-winner at the 3:04 mark.

But the game was far from finished.

The Tar Heels controlled the ball with less than two minutes to go and Carolina put it in the hands of Bitter. Senior defender Brett Schmidt, who has locked up with Bitter for the last three meetings between these two teams and he was again one-on-one as Bitter tried to back in from the right wing. Schmidt, however, forced Bitter into a bad-angle shot that Amato smothered.

Even that wasn't the end. Maryland had the ball with a minute to go and drew a holding penalty on UNC's Mark McNeil. But a quick mental mistake resulted in a Maryland turnover, giving Carolina a chance to tie.

North Carolina was down a man with possession, but Carolina was whistled for too many men on the field when a Tar Heel came onto the field prior to the penalty being released.

From there, Maryland was able to kill the remaining 34 seconds on the clock, sending the Terps to their second consecutive ACC title game.