FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Grant Catalino scored with 32 seconds left in overtime to give unseeded Maryland a 6-5 win over top-seeded Syracuse in an NCAA Division I lacrosse quarterfinal on Sunday.

Catalino took a pass from Ryan Young behind the net and beat Orange goalie John Galloway for the winning goal.

The Terrapins will play ACC rival Duke, who beat Notre Dame, in the semifinals at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore on Saturday.

Maryland midfielder Scott LaRue scored his second goal of the game with 1 second left in the third quarter to put Maryland ahead 5-3, but Syracuse battled back in the final period to tie it on goals by Jeremy Thompson and Jovan Miller.

It was Syracuse's first loss on at Gillette Stadium, where the 11-time NCAA champions won the 2008 and 2009 national titles. The Orange were making their 29th appearance in the national quarterfinals.

"I'm really happy for our players," Maryland coach John Tillman said. "We knew what we were staring down when we saw the seeding -- it's going to be a hard road, but we're used to it."

Maryland's strategy of holding the ball for long periods led to 10 stall warnings, but also limited the number of possessions for the Orange (15-2). Tillman credited midfielder Curtis Holmes with winning the key faceoffs that allowed Maryland (12-4) to control possession.

"At one point, I looked up in the third quarter, and there was 9:30 left and we hadn't had a possession yet," Syracuse coach John Desko said.

With the score tied 5-5 early in overtime, Syracuse had a fast-break opportunity, but midfielder Kevin Drew, with a clear field ahead, overshot the goal and the Orange lost possession.

Desko wouldn't second-guess his decision to let the Orange go for the winning goal in transition, rather than set up a play.

"I'm not calling a timeout when there's only been five goals scored in the game," said Desko.

Thompson and Miller gave Syracuse a 2-0 lead in the first half, but Maryland got goals from Drew Snider and LaRue to tie the game 2-2 at halftime.

Jake Bernhardt took a pass from behind the goal from Travis Reed and scored with 9:37 left in the third to give Maryland a 3-2 lead, and Reed then blistered a low shot past Galloway two minutes later for a 4-2 lead.

A great individual effort by Syracuse's JoJo Marasco closed it to 4-3 before Maryland took possession late in the third quarter after a stalling penalty on Syracuse. LaRue's shot beat the clock, giving Maryland a 5-3 lead after three quarters.