WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Senior Joe Cummings set a career high with six points to lead the No. 7 Maryland to a 16-11 win against Georgetown Friday night at the Multi-Sport Facility.

Maryland got off to a quick start thanks to a pushing penalty on the Hoyas. Sophomore Rustin Bryant slipped a quick pass to Cummings on the crease and Cummings one-timed it for the 1-0 lead at the 11:59 mark.

The lead grew to 2-0 20 seconds later when Cummings made a tough play in tight space around the crease to get off a shot and beat Hoya goalie CT Fisher for his second goal of the game.

Georgetown got on the board at the 9:56 mark with an unassisted goal by Jason McFadden, but Marylandd would go on a 4-0 run to take control of the game.

Redshirt sophomore Mike Chanenchuk started the run with an unassisted man-up goal with 7:24 left in the first. As the Hoya penalty wound down Chanenchuk steeped in from the left alley and just ripped a shot past Fisher to make it 3-1 Terps.

Senior Michael Shakespeare scored his first of the night, hitting on a low-to-low shot from 12 yards out off an assist from junior Kevin Cooper at the 6:07 mark of the first.

Cooper opened the scoring in the second quarter with an easy goal just over a minute into the second. Cummings had the ball behind the cage and flipped an easy pass to Cooper on the crease after Cooper lost his defender with a great off-ball cut.

The run was capped by junior Billy Gribbin's goal from the right alley. Gribbin beat Fisher inside the near pip to make the score 6-1 at the 10:44 mark.

Brian Casey snapped the run with 7:20 left in the second, but Maryland answered right back to push its lead back to five at 7-2. A face-off violation gave the Terps the ball and it ended up in a scramble with junior Landon Carr. He then spun out of traffic and finished past Fisher.

Georgetown scored the last two goals to pull to within three goals heading into halftime, but that was as close as it would get. Maryland went on another four-goal run to take an 11-4 lead in the third.

Cummings scored the first two goals of the run, finishing near identical cuts to the crease each time. Junior John Haus assisted the first goal, while Cooper had the second helper.

Haus then scored off an assist from Cummings to make it a 10-4 game with 8:06 left in the third.

Freshman Jay Carlson continued to prove he can score goals by finishing the run with his first of the day at the 6:04 mark. Cummings' shot was stopped by Hoya goalie Jake Haley, but Carlson scooped up the rebound and bounced the shot off the far pipe and into the goal for the 11-4 lead.

The Hoyas ended the third quarter scoring with a goal by C-Jay Engelke to make it an 11-5 game going into the fourth, but the Terps would answer again, this time with a five-goal run to seal the game.

Chanenchuk got things rolling less than a minute into the fourth. He collected a pass from Haus in the right alley and ripped some high heat past Haley for a 12-5 lead.

Senior Drew Snider got in on the scoring next with a man-up goal off an assist from Gribbin with 13:24 to go.

Shakespeare scored his second, an unassisted goal, to make it 14-5 at the 11:18 mark. He carried the ball from behind the cage around the left side and bounced a shot off the far post and in to the near-side netting for the goal.

Junior Owen Blye then went inside the near post from the left wing, finishing off a slick pass from Haus to make the score 15-5 with 8:39 left.

Carlson then capped off the run and the scoring for the Terps with his second of the day at the 6:32 mark. Sophomore defender Michael Ehrhardt brought the ball up the field, but Carlson erased his chance for a second career assist when he had to dodge around a defender to score the goal.

Georgetown scored the game's final six goals in the last 4:25 to make the final score 16-11.

Sophomore Niko Amato was solid in cage, but wasn't challenged and ended up with seven saves.

Sophomore Brian Cooper led the defensive effort with three groundballs and three caused turnovers, while Carr finished with a game-high six groundballs.