ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Cortland starting-attack unit scored 7 of its 8 goals to lead second-ranked Red Dragons to an 8-7 win at fourth-ranked RIT on Wednesday. Cortland, which played its sixth consecutive ranked opponent, improved to 7-0, while the Tigers suffered their first loss of the season and fell to 5-1.

Senior Mike Tota led the Red Dragons with three goals and an assist, senior Greg Wright had two goals and two assists and sophomore Cody Consul added two goals and one assist. Freshman midfielder Nick Wolak scored a goal, and senior Zack Mulvaney recorded an assist.

Junior goalie Mike Kaminski made 12 saves for Cortland to run his record to 7-0 on the season. Tota and sophomore Brian Winterfeldt collected six ground balls apiece, and sophomore Doug Meehan had four ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Tyler Russell paced the RIT offense with four goals, and Brendan MacDonald scored three times. A.J. Tingle contributed two assists, and Taylor Wisman, Alex Crepinsek and Allister Warren each chipped in with one assist. Goalie Anthony DeLeo stopped 13 shots. Tyler Brooks-Lambert won 8-of-11 faceoffs, while P.J. Hart won 5-of-8.

The Red Dragons jumped out to a 3-0 lead just over six minutes into the game. Tota opened the scoring at 12:02, followed by Wright at 9:56 and Consul at 8:43. The Tigers pulled to within 3-2 on goals just 47 seconds apart. MacDonald scored at 7:46 and Russell netted a man-up goal at 6:59. Wright gave Cortland a 4-2 lead after one quarter with his second of the game at 2:20. After Tota made it a 5-2 game 3:37 into the second quarter, RIT again made it a one-goal game at 5-4 with back-to-back extra-man goals by Russell and MacDonald to give the Tigers the momentum. Consul, however, netted a goal just 15 seconds before the half to make it 6-4 in favor of Cortland.

MacDonald inched the Tigers to within 6-5 at 10:59 of the third, but Wolak scored at 8:39 and Tota netted his third of the game at 4:11 to put the Red Dragons up 8-5. Russell then scored 59 seconds before the end of the third quarter and Cortland held an 8-6 lead through 45 minutes. Neither team could find the back of the net in the fourth quarter until Russell notched his fourth of the game with exactly three minutes remaining. The Tigers had possession in the closing moments of the game but couldn't get off a shot on goal for the chance to send the game into overtime.