WASHINGTON D.C. -- Georgetown (4-5, 1-0 BIG EAST) scored seven fourth-quarter goals, the most it has scored in a single quarter this season, to hold off Marquette (2-4), winning 17-12 on Friday at Multi-Sport Field.

The Hoyas strong fourth quarter came in response to a Golden Eagles' team that reeled off six consecutive goals from late in the second quarter through the third, cutting a comfortable seven-goal lead to just one goal with 7:37 remaining in the third quarter. Junior attack Jeff Fountain ended the Marquette run, with one of his career-high four goals, helping start a 5-1 Georgetown run that put the game out of reach.

Sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor led the Hoyas with three goals and three assists for a game-high six points. Two other Hoyas also posted career-highs in goals, as sophomore midfielder Charles McCormick had three and junior midfielder Grant Fisher scored two goals in the Hoyas victory.

Junior Tyler Knarr continued his dominance at the faceoff, winning a career-high 22 of 30 faceoffs with 12 ground balls and one caused turnover to help GU hold possession for much of the game.

Georgetown took control of the game early, as Fisher scored consecutive goals to open the game. McCormick and O'Connor followed with goals, before Marquette got on the board for the first time, giving GU a 4-1 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Fountain helped the Hoyas extend the lead, scoring two goals during a 4-2 run in the second quarter, as Bo Stafford and Zac Guy also added goals during the stretch to take a 9-3 lead going into the half.

Marquette carried the momentum from Kyle Whitlow's late second quarter goal into the second half, as Tyler Melnyk had two goals and an assist during a 5-0 Golden Eagles' run to start the third quarter. The run brought MU within one goal 9-8 with 7:37 remaining. Fountain responded for Georgetown, scoring an unassisted goal at the 5:27 mark in the third quarter to end the rally.

Marquette pull within a goal, on Melnyk's third of the game with 1:43 remaining in the third, making the score 10-9 going into the fourth quarter.

Knarr helped Georgetown keep possession throughout the first half of the fourth quarter, winning 8 of 10 faceoff attempts and putting the ball in the sticks of the offense. GU took advantage of the opportunity, as senior midfielder Dan McKinney scored the first two goals of the fourth quarter to take a three-goal lead, at 12-9. O'Connor assisted Fountain and senior attack Travis Comeau to complete a 4-0 GU run to put the game out of reach. O'Connor added two goals for himself, before McCormick scored the final goal with five seconds left to give GU a 17-12 victory.

Sophomore goalie Jake Haley made eight saves and collected his third win of the season for the Hoyas.

Georgetown's 17 goals is the team's most since 2002, when it defeated UMBC 18-10.