Dickinson's Carter Moore
Dickinson Athletics

CARLISLE, Pa. -- No. 2 Dickinson jumped out to an early lead and never looked back in the second round of the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Championship on Saturday. The Red Devils held a 4-1 lead at the end of the first quarter en route to a 20-7 decision against Adrian College.

Brian Cannon put the Devils on the board, scoring his 100th career goal at the 8:24 mark of the first period. Brian Gleason made it 2-0, scoring off a faceoff win and assist from Carter Moore just seven seconds later.

Moore was phenomenal on the day, winning 19 of 19 faceoff attempts while controlling a game-high 13 ground balls in the process.

The Bulldogs answered with an unassisted goal by Cody Kilcoyne before Matt Cherry tallied to put the Devils up 3-1. Ace Sudah scored the first goal of his collegiate career with 17 seconds to play in the opening quarter for a 4-1 advantage.

John Hudzinski struck for Adrian just one minute into the second quarter. Moore responded with another faceoff win and scored six seconds later on an assist from Gleason. Gleason scored on an extra-man opportunity, finishing an assist from Cherry with 12:30 to play in the half.

Kilcoyne tallied again for the Bulldogs at the 9:18 mark, but the Devils answered with three consecutive goals to take a 9-3 lead into halftime. Chris Menard ripped a shot into the net and Cannon netted an extra-man opportunity as Gleason recorded another assist. Kobi Frankel found the back of the net with 30 seconds remaining for the six-goal advantage.

The Devils picked up right where they left off after the break. Starting the second half with possession from a late penalty, Will Scott scored off an assist from Cherry just 17 seconds into the half. Less than a minute later, Cherry fed Gleason for the hat trick, and Tyler White made the score 12-3, scoring 12 seconds after Gleason.

Dickinson rattled off 10 consecutive goals to hold a 16-3 advantage at the end of three quarters of play. Brett Parker got tangled up, but managed to find the net with a one-handed shot, and Cherry, Menard and White closed out the quater with goals, as well.

Drake Daily-Chwalibog broke up the run, opening the fourth quarter with a goal at the 8:39 mark. Marek Laco and Reiley Crosby answered to stretch the lead to 18-4.

The Bulldogs tallied back-to-back goals before Greg Castro won the faceoff and scored to run the count to 19-6. Hudzinski found the net in the final minute and Mike Reid closed out the game, scoring with just 19 seconds to play.

In addition to Moore's 19-for-19 performance, Castro controlled six of 10 on the day. Gleason led the attack with three goals and three assists while Cherry scored twice and handed out three assists. Overall, 14 Red Devils found the scoring column, scoring a pair of man-down goals at the end of the second and third quarters.

The defense was relentless once again, allowing just seven goals while keeping Adrian scoreless for more than a 30-minute stretch. Draper Donley caused five turnovers and controlled seven ground balls while senior Peter Zouck caused three turnovers and picked up four ground balls.

Greg Hanley turned in another strong performance, making 11 saves. Max Pawk came on for the final quarter of action and made three saves.

The Red Devils broke the school record, winning their 18th game of the season to remain undefeated. They will now advance to the quarterfinals and play host to Salisbury on Wednesday.

Printable Bracket  Interactive