INDIANAPOLIS -- David Lawson scored his career-best fifth goal with 2:16 remaining to lift Duke to a 12-11 win against Notre Dame in the Division I Men's Lacrosse quarterfinals Sunday.

The Blue Devils (14-5) advance to play Cornell in Saturday's national semifinals in Philadelphia. It will be Duke's

"I am extremely proud of our guys from beginning to end," Duke head coach John Danowski said. "We wanted to play for 60 minutes. We certainly don’t script these endings, last week or this week. We just wanted to play the game. Kyle Turri, while he didn’t have a great day in the goal statistically, comes up with a big save on the outlet. He keeps his poise and allows us to score the tying goal."


Duke, which now has posted consecutive one-goal victories in the NCAA tournament, will be making their seventh consecutive trip to the semifinals. The Blue Devils won the national championship in 2010.

"We try not to think about that," Lawson said of the semifinals streak. "You try not to get nervous about being the first team not to get to a [national semifinals] under Coach Danowski. But we're obviously very happy about it."

Duke and Notre Dame (11-5) traded goals for most of the game, which featured nine ties and five lead changes. The largest lead was two goals, by both squads. The Irish took an 11-9 lead with 9:29 left after consecutive goals to begin the fourth period, but the Blue Devils rallied late. They scored the final three goals.

Duke made it a one-goal game, 11-10, on an unassisted score from junior Christian Walsh with 8:31 to play.

With 3:30 to play and neither team having scored for five minutes, Turri came up with his biggest play of the game as he stopped Sean Rogers’ shot on the crease and sent an outlet pass to Greg DeLuca, who raced down the field and found Wolf, who quickly dished it to Dionne for the game-tying score with 3:18 to play.

“The defender tripped on the back of the goal,” Turri said. “He came around and I just matched his stick. I kept the stick high, saw it all the way and it was really nice to get the last one.”

The go-ahead tally was scored by Lawson, who netted five goals on just 11 shots.

"I don't think I did anything in particular. I just kept shooting," Lawson said of the winning goal. "I hitched my left hand, and I just let it rip."

Notre Dame had multiple chances late to tie it, but failed to capitalize. The Irish got caught playing the up-tempo style Duke likes, and it caught up with them in the end.

When the teams met in February, Notre Dame played at a much slower pace and held down Duke's offense in a 13-5 win.

"We play Duke a lot. We know they're going to pressure us," Notre Dame midfielder Jim Marlatt said. "When they pressure, the way to beat the pressure is to attack the goal. That's what kind of led to a more up-tempo game. At the same time, we wanted to take away any easy opportunities for them."

The first half was a back-and-forth affair featuring five ties and three lead changes. Notre Dame grabbed its first lead of the game 25 seconds into the second quarter before Duke responded with three unanswered for the 6-4 advantage. The Irish followed suit and responded with consecutive scores to send then the squads into halftime even at 6.

That trend continued in the third quarter with the two teams trading goals and ending 45 minutes of play knotted at 9. Notre Dame raced back in front, 11-19, five minutes into the fourth quarter to set up the comeback by the Blue Devils.

Jordan Wolf had four assists for Duke, while Josh Dionne had three tallies in the win. Brendan Fowler was 16 of 26 at the faceoff X with seven ground balls. Turri finished with two saves.

Matt Kavanagh registered a game-high six points on three goals and three assists for the Fighting Irish, while Conor Doyle had three goals and Marlatt notched two goals and two assists. Goalie John Kemp had 13 saves in his final appearance in a Notre Dame uniform.

Duke and Notre Dame athletics contributed to this report.

Printable Bracket  Interactive