lacrosse-men-d2 flag

Washington (Md.) Athletics | March 5, 2014

Luck leads No. 7 Washington (Md.) in victory against No. 13 St. Mary's

CHESTERTOWN, Md. -- Seventh-ranked host Washington (Md.) scored three unanswered goals in a span of 2:12 in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter to pull away from visiting 13th-ranked St. Mary's (Md.) en route to a 12-9 non-conference victory Wednesday afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. Junior attackman Stephen Luck scored a career high-tying three goals for the Shoremen who improved to 3-0 on the season and 21-0 all-time against the Seahawks with the win. St. Mary's fell to 2-2 with the loss.

Junior attackman Sam Birnbaum broke a scoreless tie to put the Shoremen on the board with 48 seconds left in the first quarter. Senior attackman JD Campbell upped the lead to 2-0 when he scored off a feed from senior attackman Jim Cusick with 11:08 to play in the second. The Seahawks evened things up with goals by Matt Tarrant with 10:11 on the clock and by Gordy Long off a Conor Jordan feed with 8:54 remaining. The score remained 2-2 until Washington junior midfielder Grant Hughes scored with 1:24 to go, but the Seahawks evened things up before halftime when Tim Perugini scored off an assist from Stewart D'Ambrogi with 21 seconds left.

Tarrant opened the third-quarter scoring with an extra-man goal off a Ben Love assist with 12:50 to go, giving the Seahawks their only lead of the game. That lead was short-lived however as Cusick found the back of the net 44 seconds later to even things up at 4-4. Luck then scored the first of his four goals with 8:55 left off the first collegiate assist from freshman midfielder Matt Allen to put Washington in front. St. Mary's countered with 5:50 on the clock as Love scored off a feed from Conor Jordan. Washington regained the lead with 2:54 to go in the third on a goal by sophomore midfielder Sid Looney, but the Seahawks again tied things up when Jordan scored off a Perugini assist with 26 seconds left to knot the score at 6-6 through three quarters.

Washington scored just eight seconds into the fourth quarter as junior midfielder Michael Trapp won the face-off and found Luck for a goal. St. Mary's tied the score for the final time with 10:29 to go when Tarrant scored on a extra-man off a Jordan feed. Sam Birnbaum gave the Shoremen the lead for good at 8-7 when he flicked in a rebounded shot with 8:12 remaining. Junior midfielder Luke Birnbaum scored with 5:35 on the clock to give Washington a two-goal cushion at 9-7. The Seahawks trimmed the lead back to one when Tarrant scored with 3:42 to play.

The Seahawks looked to capitalize on the momentum of Tarrant's goal when Cody Tidwell won the ensuing face-off and scooped up the ground ball, but Washington senior long-stick midfielder Michael Baker checked the ball out of Tidwell's stick near midfield. Luck scooped up the ground ball and drove to the goal for his third score of the day, pushing the lead to 10-8 and beginning Washington's decisive run. Campbell scored with 1:55 left and Hughes added a goal with 1:14 to play to up the lead to 12-8 and put the game out of reach. Nate Babcock scored an extra-man goal off an assist from D'Ambrogi with one second left to provide the final margin.

Luck's three goals made him one of four Shoremen to finish with multiple goals in the game as Sam Birnbaum, Campbell, and Hughes had two a piece. Cusick added one goal and one assist. In addition to his assist, Trapp dominated on face-offs, going 16-for-24 with 13 ground balls. Senior goalie Ted DiSalvo made 11 saves in the win for the Shoremen.

Tarrant matched Luck's output with four goals in the loss for the Seahawks. Jordan added one goal and three assists, while Perugini had a goal and an assist and D'Ambrogi tallied two assists. David Mitchell-McShane had a game-high five caused turnovers and scooped up five ground balls for St. Mary's, while goalie Zack Blewett made 18 saves.

The Shoremen held a 49-32 advantage in shots in the game and were a perfect 15-for-15 on clears.