lacrosse-men-d2 flag

Pfeiffer Athletics | April 2, 2014

No. 7 Pfeiffer falls, Mount Olive claims 11-10 overtime victory

MISENHEIMER, N.C. -- Pfeiffer (8-2, 2-1 CC) dropped a heartbreaker in overtime against Mount Olive (10-2, 2-1 CC) in a pivotal Conference Carolinas matchup by a final score of 11-10. The Falcons held a three goal lead with four minutes to go in the game but the Trojans forced an improbable overtime as Dan Shields scored with six seconds to play. Matt Shields’ goal with 2:28 left in overtime was the winner for Mount Olive who now claims sole possession of second place in the league standings.

James Shepherd’s man up goal with 4:59 in the fourth period pushed Pfeiffer’s lead to 10-7 and looked to sink the guests comeback hopes. However, with 3:54 to play, Stephen Bowlan cut the lead to 10-8 and Brett Kingston scored a man up goal with 1:29 to play making it a one-goal game.

Pfeiffer had possession of the ball in their offensive end of the field and called a timeout with 20 seconds to play. Following the timeout, Pfeiffer turned the ball over and Mount Olive gained possession at midfield. With 12 seconds to play, Mount Olive began its attack. Nico Shewey drove to the net and fired a pass that snuck past the outreached stick of Pfeiffer goalkeeper Hayden Kirk. Shields leapt into the air to corral the pass and shot in one motion, putting the ball in the top right corner of the net with five seconds to play.

Mount Olive won the faceoff to start the overtime period and possessed the ball for the entire 1:32 before Dan Shields set up Matt Shields for the game-winner.

Pfeiffer had a 7-5 lead going into the half but was held to just three goals in the second half. In the fourth quarter, Mount Olive outscored the Falcons 5-2.

Shepherd kicked off the scoring just 1:05 into the first period on a pass from Spencer Allen. Steven Tilmon and Tucker Hammock scored 42 seconds apart as Pfeiffer took the 3-1 advantage. Mount Olive scored with 1:01 left in the first period to cut the lead to 3-2.

In the second period, Elliot Gilbert struck on an unassisted goal 1:52 into the frame. Mount Olive rallied to score the next three goals and take 5-4 lead. Pfeiffer burst through to reclaim the lead with three goals in 1:04, with two scores from Tilmon coming just 16 seconds apart.

Gilbert put Pfeiffer up 8-5 just 1:15 into the third period, which would be the only score from either team in that stanza.

Mount Olive scored twice in a nine second span in the beginning of the fourth quarter, making the lead 8-7. Michael Triolo answered with a goal just nine seconds after the Trojans barrage to put Pfeiffer back up two. Shepherd’s goal would be the Falcons last of the afternoon, which set the stage for Mount Olive’s dramatic comeback.

Hayden Kirk suffered the loss in goal, dropping to 7-2 on the season. Kirk made 15 saves in 61:32 of game action.

Tilmon recorded a hat trick and added one assist for a four-point afternoon. Shepherd, Gilbert and Hammock each scored twice.

Khalid Stukes won 12 face-offs and grabbed a game-high seven ground balls.

Cameron Walsh scored three goals for Mount Olive and Matt Shields and Dan Shields each scored twice. Dan Shields handed out three assists to finish with five points.

Ross Bowman earned the win in goal, making 11 stops.

Mount Olive held a 35-30 advantage in shots and each team grabbed 27 ground balls. The Trojans were 2-of-5 on the man advantage, while the Falcons went 2-of-6.

This was Pfeiffer’s second consecutive overtime game as the Falcons defeated Catawba 10-9 on a goal from Gilbert. This was the third time in their past four games that Pfeiffer has played a game that was decided by one goal.