lacrosse-men-d3 flag

Marywood Athletics | April 9, 2014

Bachman nets game winner in 3OT, Marywood beats Susquehanna

  Cody Bachman scored with 98 seconds remaining in triple overtime.

SELINSGROVE, Pa. -- Cody Bachman netted a game winner in the third overtime to lift Marywood to a 9-8 victory against Susquehanna on Wednesday in the longest game in program history. Bachman scored an unassisted goal with 88 seconds remaining in the third overtime for his second of the game.

Dylan Swope tied the school assists record on a feed to his younger brother Skyler Swope. Dylan stands at 60 career assists, tying Nick Parks' 2008-11 mark.  Similar to a goal scored in Saturday's loss against No. 2 Cabrini, John Werner launched a ball down the length of the field to Dylan behind the net line. Dylan caught and turned to find his brother open in front of the goal before the buzzer.

Scott Slater netted a hat trick for the consecutive game. Bachman finished with two goals. Skyler Swope posted a career-high two points on a goal and an assist.

Michael Squillante won 70 percent (14 of 20) of his faceoff opportunities and scooped four ground balls. Ryan Nowell led the Pacers with six ground balls.

Joe Magargal made nine saves in 70 minutes, 32 seconds of action in the net for the win.

Bachman's goal overshadowed a fourth quarter comeback that saw Susquehanna score four consecutive goals to end regulation and force overtime. With the Pacers' leading 8-4 after Slater's third goal from Sam Trill at 14:06 in the fourth, Susquehanna kept Marywood scoreless for the next 25 minutes. Austin Lein netted back-to-back goals at 11:07 and 4:08 to cut the Pacers' lead in half.

The Crusaders added two goals in the final 90 seconds even the game before the final whistle. Pat Brogan put Susquehanna within one on an unassisted goal with 83 second remaining. Chet McLaughlin redirected an Austen Lein pass for a man-down goal with six seconds on the clock to tie the game at 8-8.

Susquehanna kept the Pacers scoreless for the first 17 minutes of the game. Trailing two, Marywood (6-7) found its first goal of the game from Slater with 13:03 left in the second quarter. Less than two minutes later, Susquehanna's Nick Citron doubled the lead at 11:17. The Pacers and Crusaders (6-7) traded goals again when Riley Dobel and Skyler Swope teamed up at 5:34, followed by a Jake Calder-Lein connection to make it 4-2.

Three goals in the final 90 seconds of the first half oiled the gears for a six-goal run that lasted three quarters. Slater kicked off the barrage of goals off a Derek Schmidt pass with 84 seconds left. Stephen Deiner tied things up on an unassisted score with 40 seconds remaining. Nine seconds gone by, Terlizzi gave the Pacers its first lead at 5-4.

Marywood kept the Crusaders scoreless in the third at Sassafras Field Complex. Bachman and Skyler Swope each scored to improve the lead to 7-4 with one stanza remaining.

The Pacers held a 19-18 edge in ground balls. Susquehanna went perfect on 25 clear attempts, while the Pacers failed on four of its 20 tries. Both teams went a combined 0-for-9 on extra-man opportunities. Susquehanna outshot Marywood 33-25 for the game.