lacrosse-men-d3 flag

SUNY Cortland Athletics | May 8, 2014

SUNY Cortland earns 600th win vs. Keuka

  Senior Tyler Chin scored Cortland's first and last goals as part of his three-goal game.

CORTLAND, N.Y. -- SUNY Cortland broke open a tight game with a 10-goal third quarter and held Keuka scoreless during the final 25 minutes, 23 seconds en route to a 20-6 victory versus the Storm on Wednesday afternoon in the first round of the DIII tournament at the Stadium Complex. The 10 goals in one quarter were the first for Cortland since the Red Dragons tallied 16 in the opening quarter of a 30-0 win versus Utica/Rome on Mar. 19, 2002.

The Red Dragons improved to 16-3 with their 11th consecutive win and recorded the 600th win in program history. Cortland will face Springfield, a 19-13 winner against Western New England, in an NCAA DIII second-round game Saturday at a site and time to be announced. The Storm dropped its first game of the season in the first match up between the two teams, falling to 14-1.

Eleven different players scored at least one goal and 15 Red Dragons overall registered at least one point. Senior Tyler Chin and sophomore Zach Hopps led the offense with three goals and one assist apiece, Junior Mike Cantelli also netted three goals, senior Mike Cummings recorded two goals and two assists, junior Patrick Brown scored twice and senior Nate Garbarino and juniors Matt Rakoczy, Matt Savlov and Benjamin Dunlavey each had one goal and one assist.

Junior Dieter Treusdell and freshman Nate Beresovoy netted one goal each, and the Red Dragons were also awarded a team goal. Senior Joe Slavik chipped in with two assists.

Junior goalie Scott Tota made two saves in 48 minutes, 11 seconds for Cortland before giving way to senior Nick Costabile, who stopped two shots in the final 11:49. Sophomore Pat Baldwin won 17-of-20 faceoffs and collected 13 ground balls, and junior Billy Davis was successful on 5-of-6 faceoff attempts as Cortland won 22-of-27 overall in the game. Senior Mike Warner and junior Dan Southard each caused three turnovers and registered four ground balls, while senior Fred Mase scooped up five ground balls.

Junior Derek Pfeiffer paced Keuka's offense with three goals. Sophomore Matt Beebe contributed one goal and two assists, senior Connor Latimer and junior Cory Gray tallied one goal and one assist apiece and freshman Jamie Kuppel  added an assist.

Junior goalie Eric Saltrelli turned aside 17 shots for Keuka in 55:26. Freshman Jacob Wood made one save over the final 4:34. Saltrelli led the Storm with five ground balls, and senior Scott Miller and freshman Trevor Jones each recorded four.

The Storm opened up an early 2-0 lead on goals from Beebe at 13:38 and Latimer at 12:13. The Red Dragons closed the first quarter with a four-goal run as four different players scored. Gray's man-up goal at 11:36 of the second quarter made it a 4-3 game before Cotland netted three consecutive to take a 7-3 lead. Pfeiffer's first goal of the game 25 seconds before the half pulled Keuka to within 7-4.

Brown and Cantelli tallied goals 1:32 apart early in the third quarter to put Cortland ahead 9-4. Pfeiffer answered with back-to-back man-up goals at 10:37 and 10:23, and the Storm was right back in the game. The Red Dragons quickly stifled any momentum that Keuka had as Brown netted his second goal of the game just seven seconds after Pfeiffer's second goal and then seven different players closed out the quarter with a goal to give Cortland a commanding 17-6 lead.

Hopps scored his third goal of the game 37 seconds into the fourth quarter to make it 18-6. Then a Keuka player accidentally tossed the ball into his own cage in an attempt to pass the ball back to Saltrelli at 4:34 and Chin completed the scoring with his third tally of the game at 2:36 as the Red Dragons closed the game with 11 consecutive goals.

Subscribe To Email Updates

Enter your information to receive emails about offers, promotions from and our partners